string tension concern?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dukeandrews, Mar 2, 2014.

1. dukeandrews

dukeandrews

I have read a fair bit on the threads of this forum and have not found what I am looking for.:confused: So I would like to try a set of Labella flats on my '74 p. My question is should I be concerned with the tension of the deep talkin bass .049-.110 set on the neck of my '74? Is there a significant difference in the sound of the different gauges? Thanks in advance to you all for your experienced answers.;)

2. Precision101

Precision101

Set up wise if they are not the same gauge string you used before you most likely have to tweak your truss rod/action/ intonation a bit. And in my experience using flatwounds I don't think there is much of a difference unless it's a drastic change in string heaviness or thickness. Flat wounds to me feel heavy naturally but I think that is just how they are supposed to feel. I don't think you should be concerned about your neck. Just a few tweaks of the truss rod and you should be fine. I've noticed flats have a higher tension too And the string tension shouldn't matter just as long as you have some relief in your neck for them to vibrate properly. I use roto flats and those things are stiff as hell! But they sound and feel nice. A proper set up and you should be fine.