String tension for Elixir 45 - 100?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by shewhorn, Feb 19, 2012.

1. shewhorn

shewhorn

Does anyone know what the string tension would be for Elixirs in a 45 - 100? They're the stock strings that come on the Ibanez SR series. I'd like to try half round/ground wounds, or flat wounds but I'd like to keep the string tension close so the setup doesn't change too much.

Cheers, Joe

2. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

3. shewhorn

shewhorn

Thanks J, I was looking at the online version of that and that's what actually sparked the question as I noticed there were pretty significant differences in string tension from one model to another (within the same gauge). Looking back though, I'm wondering if the difference I'm seeing might be accounted for by scale? In other words, the long scale has a greater tension than the medium. There's some overlap though... 32-34 and 34-36. Since my bass' scale is 34" I'm wondering if the tension would be the same regardless of whether or not I used the medium or long scale option? I would think that it would be. I'll give them a ring.

Cheers, Joe

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

This is false.

There is a great difference in tension between different manufacturers... even in some cases different string models from the same brand. IE DR with Lo Riders and Hi Beams.

Elixirs have very high tension. A little more than D'Addarios (which already have average to high tension) from my recollection.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

I thought Elixirs were just D'Addario roundwounds with Elixirs' coating applied. I tried a set of them in .045 -.105 and they were almost identical, tension wise, to D'Addario's in the same gauge. But they definitely feel different with that coating. Overall, I liked them well enough but not enough to justify their price.

7. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

I have 2 SR's and have never gone wrong by getting 40-90 of any brand I've tried. some your better off with 45-100 like with DR hi-beams.

Any time I've tried a new brand I will use 40-95. At worst it will be ok. If you stick with sets of 40-95, 40-100 or 45-100 you will be fine no matter the brand.