String Theory (How long is it?)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bin Son of Bin, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Bin Son of Bin

Bin Son of Bin

I'm looking at the 5/35 Strunal 4/4 sized Bass.

The length from Nut to Bridge is 1100mm's.

On another thread someone mentioned that 4/4 sized basses prove to make left hand technique harder and he suggested avoiding a full sized 4/4.

But when I played it (i've gone several times now) I found it very lovely to play. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a reason to avoid a 4/4 of any make?

Jason
  2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

According to me calculations that is 43.3 inches. Yes, that would be a scale length of a full size bass. Usually the issue is the stretch between fingers in the lower position and playing in tune. This is not to say it isn't done, but sometimes you trade off speed or some technical ability to pull it off. If you have larger hands might not pose a problem at all.
  3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Supporting Member

If it's your first bass (profile is empty), I wouldn't do it just because it's available. You're creating work for yourself, limiting your string choices and will make it hard to play 3/4 basses in tune if you sit in. If you're 6'5", maybe
  4. Bin Son of Bin

Bin Son of Bin

It is indeed my first DB. I do have large hands but i'm not sure if they are large enough. I did like how it sounded and the body did not seem so drasticaly different than a 3/4's, but I don't want to jump into something that might prove to be more difficult.

There does seem to be a bit of distaste towards the 4/4's on Talkbass. Sadly, I do like the sound coming from it. I just have to decide if I want the added difficulty of play.

I need to keep trying basses. Argghh!!

Jason
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Supporting Member

I would not advise you to do it. Sorry, I know that's not what you were hoping to hear.

I personally wouldn't do it. There's a small subset of experienced players who I think could reasonably make that choice for themselves, but not me and I don't think you either.
  7. BigSpikeBass

BigSpikeBass

My American Standard is about 43", a 3/4 and I'm average size and it plays fine to me but then again I play mostly bluegrass
  8. MIKMAN

MIKMAN Supporting Member

Having dealt with many Strunals so far i'd say NO. The 4/4 is a big instrument, not only in terms of string length but also physically. It is difficult to reach the thump position and during the learning process it is harder to remain in tune. The 3/4 size offers a comparable sound without these problems.
    I made the same mistake almost 20 years ago starting my DB venture with a 4/4 instrument. After two hard years i changed to a 3/4 instrument and things became normal.
    Mike
  9. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

Pass on it. Once you've established yourself you will always be able to move up to a 4/4 if you so please.
  10. MIKMAN

MIKMAN Supporting Member

Having dealt with many Strunals so far i'd say NO. The 4/4 is a big instrument, not only in terms of string length but also physically. It is difficult to reach the thump position and during the learning process it is harder to remain in tune. The 3/4 size offers a comparable sound without these problems.
    I made the same mistake almost 20 years ago starting my DB venture with a 4/4 instrument. After two hard years i changed to a 3/4 instrument and things became normal.
    Mike
  11. Bin Son of Bin

Bin Son of Bin

To everyone.

Thanks for your very informed opinions. I think that I am going to take your advice. As much as I really liked it I am concerned about these issues. As a new DB player I don't think I want to add on all the extra work.

Much appreciated.

Jason

Now back to my research for a Shen 150 3/4 or a Calin Wulter Hybrid 3/4. What to do....what to do....:(
  12. longfinger

longfinger

13. eerbrev

eerbrev

David Doyle at the Soundpost is a great dude, and he's who I take my repairs and rehairs to, but He's got a small shop and can't really carry much bass stock. I think he may only have one bass there right now, and it may or may not be a plywood bass.

Peter Dawson: I've been to the shop once, and I wasn't overly impressed. there was some stock, but it was all sort of around the beginner level. Maybe he'll have what you want, but it wasn't what I was looking for. Very nice people, very helpful.

eerbrev
  14. Bin Son of Bin

Bin Son of Bin

I have been talking with the guys at Dawsons and with David at the Soundpost. David is the one that recommended the 4/4 Strunal.

I am going to talk to Peter Mach. I've heard good things about him.
  15. Bin Son of Bin

Bin Son of Bin

I've E-mailed Peter Mach with some initial questions. Thanks for the name!

Jason