String through body or bridge? Which sounds best

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by raybone, Jun 25, 2007.

1. raybone

raybone

Anyone have a preference to stringing thru body or bridge? I had my L2500 strings through the body since I got it 2 years ago. I was wondering if someone had experience switching to or from a bridge stringing, and if this would require setup adjustments.
  2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

For one- don't use the same strings, or there will be a bend in the string where it used to contact the bridge- this little bend could cause the strings to sound really dull! I'm personally not sure that it matters which way you string it (I am pretty sure the whole "tighter B string on a string through the body bass" has been debunked)...The strings may sit at a slightly different angle on the bridge if you string through the bridge, so a small check of intonation might be a good idea- but generally I would set my intonation every time I change strings anyway...

Karl
  3. quickervicar

quickervicar

In my limited experience I've not noticed the B string to sound punchier when strung through the body, but rather the opposite. I find the strings tend to...ummm....cooperate with the body wood a bit more. They tend to sound a bit rounder & more involved with the whole bass.

Others might find it to be completely different.
  4. cb56

cb56

I agree with this. But I really don't hear a huge difference either way.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. earlgray

earlgray

I have not noticed any difference, even for the B.

the main reason i've heard for thru-body is from one person on the G&L boards who had his bridge separate from the body of an L-2500 that was bridge strung.

I think that was an isolated event; I've had no problem with my l-2500 that's bridge strung. (also have L-2500 that's thru body. both sound great, as they should :cool: )

if you look at the screws securing the bridge, there are only a few on the 2.5 because the thru-body holes are used for screws on a 2k. stringing thru the body will eliminate any chance of the bridge lifting. (note that the bridge on a g&l also is set into a slot in the body).

hth.
  7. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

The seperated bridge was on a Tribute L2500, if I remember correctly- not sure what difference there is...

Karl
  8. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That bridge dealio; that was me; it was a Tribute, and they don't come with all the same screws to hold it down.
    Never string a Trib thru the bridge.

Personally, I've never heard much diff.
  9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

I have not noticed any tonal difference on my non-G&L basses however its a bit of a challenge to string a bass through body without the string twisting from end to end. The resulting effect is pitch waver which I cant tolerate. My preference lies with top load for this reason. No twisted strings.
  10. raybone

raybone

Yeah Ok I changed to thru the bridge. The only difference I found was the half second shorter it takes to string thru the bridge! Thx
  11. quickervicar

quickervicar

Emphasis should have been on a bit
  12. earlgray

earlgray

FYI: my US and trib L-2500's have the bridges attached in the same way with same # screws.
  13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

I wouldnt have made the change for an old set of strings because of the kink from going through the body. It is a bit easier to string this way but like I said its way easier to ensure the strings dont twist.