1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

String through body or bridge? Which sounds best

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by raybone, Jun 25, 2007.

1. raybone

raybone

Anyone have a preference to stringing thru body or bridge? I had my L2500 strings through the body since I got it 2 years ago. I was wondering if someone had experience switching to or from a bridge stringing, and if this would require setup adjustments.
  2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

For one- don't use the same strings, or there will be a bend in the string where it used to contact the bridge- this little bend could cause the strings to sound really dull! I'm personally not sure that it matters which way you string it (I am pretty sure the whole "tighter B string on a string through the body bass" has been debunked)...The strings may sit at a slightly different angle on the bridge if you string through the bridge, so a small check of intonation might be a good idea- but generally I would set my intonation every time I change strings anyway...

Karl
  3. quickervicar

quickervicar

In my limited experience I've not noticed the B string to sound punchier when strung through the body, but rather the opposite. I find the strings tend to...ummm....cooperate with the body wood a bit more. They tend to sound a bit rounder & more involved with the whole bass.

Others might find it to be completely different.
  4. cb56

cb56

I agree with this. But I really don't hear a huge difference either way.
  5. earlgray

earlgray

I have not noticed any difference, even for the B.

the main reason i've heard for thru-body is from one person on the G&L boards who had his bridge separate from the body of an L-2500 that was bridge strung.

I think that was an isolated event; I've had no problem with my l-2500 that's bridge strung. (also have L-2500 that's thru body. both sound great, as they should :cool: )

if you look at the screws securing the bridge, there are only a few on the 2.5 because the thru-body holes are used for screws on a 2k. stringing thru the body will eliminate any chance of the bridge lifting. (note that the bridge on a g&l also is set into a slot in the body).

hth.
  6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

The seperated bridge was on a Tribute L2500, if I remember correctly- not sure what difference there is...

Karl
  7. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That bridge dealio; that was me; it was a Tribute, and they don't come with all the same screws to hold it down.
    Never string a Trib thru the bridge.

Personally, I've never heard much diff.
  8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree Supporting Member

I have not noticed any tonal difference on my non-G&L basses however its a bit of a challenge to string a bass through body without the string twisting from end to end. The resulting effect is pitch waver which I cant tolerate. My preference lies with top load for this reason. No twisted strings.
  9. raybone

raybone

Yeah Ok I changed to thru the bridge. The only difference I found was the half second shorter it takes to string thru the bridge! Thx
  10. quickervicar

quickervicar

Emphasis should have been on a bit
  11. earlgray

earlgray

FYI: my US and trib L-2500's have the bridges attached in the same way with same # screws.
  12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree Supporting Member

I wouldnt have made the change for an old set of strings because of the kink from going through the body. It is a bit easier to string this way but like I said its way easier to ensure the strings dont twist.