String through fenderish bridge / 5-tring

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 2meterbassman, Dec 25, 2012.

1. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Hi all,

I'm thinking about modding my Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass V a bit.
    I saw a 5-string through body bridge by Fender on a signature model they built for a friend of mine.

Is there a replacement bridge with ferrrules to buy from Fender for this - or from any other company?

Couldn't find it - maybe I'm blind? ;-)

Thx and greetz

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the consensus around these parts is that it's a lot of work for no tonal difference.

better pickups, now there's a mod that will get you results.

3. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

Hi,

so if it's a consensus, I won't try it.
    I hoped to get more sustain, but if there's no difference.....

Thx 4 your help

4. DJJazzV

DJJazzV A pledge pin!?! On your uniform!?! Supporting Member

Fender part # 0058397000. That's the Fender American Deluxe V bridge. A few places online sell it.
    I doubt you would notice much difference at all though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction Supporting Member

I say try new strings for noticing a big difference in sound. Also how much sustain do you need?

I have the following bridges on my basses. All of them came as standard on the bass except the Gotoh 201B

Bad Ass II
    Gotoh 201B
    Ernie Ball Music Man

The 201B replaced a standard Fender bent bridge that was cutting my hand. I didn't change it for sonic reasons- the Gotoh is much smoother underhand.

The reason i bring this up is this:
    Out of all these bridges- none of them had any more or less sustain than any of the others. and on all of them I've never had any problems getting notes to ring out or last for a duration of time.

I hear a lot of talk here about wanting to change bridges to get more sustain. How much sustain does one really need? Perhaps I am missing out on some feature of the bass that i should look in to. I would say the longest i've ever needed to hold a note was perhaps 2 whole notes in 4/4 time. And i've never had a bass- regardless of the bridge- that couldn't do that. 2 whole notes seems like a long time to hold a note to me. Are some of you holding notes for much longer times than that? And the notes are dying because of the bridge and its lack of sustain?

I'm curious and not trying to derail.

Good luck with the bridge swap though.