1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

String-Thru VS. Top Mount Bridges

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JYBass, Dec 9, 2012.

1. JYBass

JYBass

Hey guys, I am doing a Warmoth build, and I would like to know what you guys think about tone and sustain differences between string-thru body mount and top mount bridges.

Thanks.

Jeremy
  2. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

None whatsoever.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I have done mine both ways on my Fender Roscoe Beck Sig V and noticed zero difference. So I always just string it on top these days. (The bridge does either/or on that bass.)

Edit to add: I HAVE noticed a big difference between the old school stamped bridges and high mass bridges. I like the stamped bridge on a P bass or Jazz. And I like the high-mass on others. The high-mass seems to reproduce more overtones and sustains longer. That's good in some cases, not so much in others.
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I string my Fenders through the body but I don't think there is any difference. Even if there is, it is so subtle that it can't be noticed.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I don't bother with stringing through the body. I prefer quick load top.
    Much more conveinent and zero difference in tone.
  6. JYBass

JYBass

Thanks for the quick response guys. This means I can save $50-$70 on the bridge + routing :)

Thanks a lot.

Jeremy
  7. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    What day is it? Has a whole week gone by?
  8. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Word.
  9. darkstorm

darkstorm

String thru for cheap thin bent metal fender style bridges gives better tone and sustain. However with a qaulity brdge with mass to it, there is no difference for string thru versus top load other then slight feel of stiffer tension. Use high mass bridge and easy top load as best choice imo. This also avoids the occassional problem of string not long enough for right part of string past the nut in some cases. That string thru body can give for some strings.
  10. mongo2

mongo2

Not IME. If the bass is properly set up with a sufficient break-angle at the saddles, I find there is no difference.
  11. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass

String thru is better, but it's very very subtle. It adds a little downward pressure on the saddle...resulting in a tighter feeling string and a body that resonates more. However some designs don't need it (I.E. Sadowsky). I think the bigger and more massive bodied basses benefit from string through. But again, it's a very slight subtle difference.
  12. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

^ Cue Mr. Turnaround. Mr. Turnaround? Calling Turnaround, fallacy sighted, you're on.
  13. Modern Growl

Modern Growl

yup, this is about what I get too..
  14. Nev375

Nev375

My strictly non-scientific impression is that strings go dead quicker on my bass that strings thru the body.
  15. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass

This might be true. I seem to notice the same phenomenon.
  16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i don't buy that; the strings on my '96 american standard P (string-through only) last just fine.