String Volume

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by dennisraymartin, Mar 16, 2014.

1. dennisraymartin

dennisraymartin

Just joined the EUB crowd. Bought a NXT-4. I've only been playing for a little over a week and I've noticed that the low e-string just doesn't get the volume of the other strings. Also when I turn up the volume of my amp (an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro) that the strings over sustain and start feeding back with excessive volume.

Is it because of the new strings? Should I putting more compression on the pre-amp?

Long time electric bass player -- Dennis
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

No compression, minimal EQ. It's not an electric bass. I'd suggest you take a lesson and learn how to properly attack the strings.
  3. dennisraymartin

dennisraymartin

Thanks KUNGfuSHERIFF. It turns out the bass is fine. I had the SVT 4 Pro set up for electric. I got their best setting from the manual and the sound is as good as it's going to get from an EUB.

Dennis
  4. RHayton

RHayton

I've also got the NXT 4, run through the Genz Benz shuttle 3T. I don't use a a preamp, I have found the fdeck filter is ideal for linking the EUB to the amp, without any need for a preamp. I also use the pot stop on the EUB to cancel the onboard settings.
  5. Register to disable this ad