string vs pup pole spacing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lardazz, Dec 22, 2013.

1. lardazz

lardazz

Hi. New here so apologies in advance. I some some talk about old Carvin 5-string and the small string spacing. I picked one up awhile back and wanted to change the PUPs. I like alot of the stuff I see like nordy big single and split single. I worry about the pole spacing matching the strings. Mine are around 0.66inch, and everything is standard at about 0.75inch. Is this important? Am I screwed in my choices?

:hyper:
  2. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

It's supposed to make a difference but I have found it to be a subtle one. I put together a franken-bass this weekend and the G string ended up way off. I could not detect a problem in the sound however.
  3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Pickups with rails solve this.
  4. lardazz

lardazz

Tanks. I don't have any experience with rail style PUPs. Do you have any decent high end parts that you would recommend. The cutouts will be for soapbar from.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

i know it makes a huge difference with the low E string i recently purchased a 1983 USA Precision.When playing on stage with my band the bass sounded great but i noticed i couldnt feel the E i know that sounds weird but sonically it felt week yet alone at home you could hear all the strings equally.I noticed the string lined up way closer to one of the poles not in the center of both.I have ordered a set of the vintage P Pups and a new 3ply pick cover i will store the originals and may have to tweak the new pickguard.
  7. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce

Contact Max @ Best Bass Gear. Nordstrand will make you custom spaced p/ups for, what I consider to be, a minimal upcharge.

Rob
    :bassist:
  8. jeffmensch

jeffmensch Supporting Member Supporting Member

I chose the Big Splits for my bass but it has standard 0.75" (19 mm) string spacing. Another pickup that I considered was the Dual Blade Neos. Here's the demo video:

As the OP mentioned, they use blades and will work with any string spacing. Other companies also make blade style pickups.
  9. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

I've never used exposed pole bass pickups. I've never worried about it, as long as all the strings fit over the pickup.

I've been told blades are good, or pickups with many poles pieces like the old Carvins.

[​IMG]