Strings Actions still too high after setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ydnac robert, Mar 29, 2014.

1. ydnac robert

ydnac robert

After follow http://www.fender.com/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide, to my 1977 Fender P-Bass with new strings (standard bridge and all), I checked that:

1. Intonation (Bridge saddles setup) is OK.
    2. The (trust-rod setting is OK)..gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 8th fret (with capo at the first fret and depress the fourth string at the last fret) is already OK (.014").

But:
    Action:
    the distance between bottom of strings and top of the 17th fret still are too high (more than recommended/standard 2.8mm at bass side and 2.4mm at treble side). Especially at the E and G strings.
    I already adjusted the bridge saddles to their lower possible position.
    But the distances are still too much (too high the strings actions).

What's the problem?
    What should I do to make them lower, as low as what Fender Setup Guide recommended?

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

3. ydnac robert

ydnac robert

Thanks. The Fender Setup Guide also mention about it but not as detail. Also I never done it before so thank you for the link.

4. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Shimming the neck is an option. I had a Peavey RJIV at one time. It was a neck-thru bass. I actually had to mill the bridge saddles to get the action low enough for my tastes. Later come to find out, that this was a design flaw on Peavey's part.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Sometimes, something so simple and obvious gets passed over. That said, loosen the strings and check that the screws holding the bridge are snug as well as the neck screws. They probably are just fine but it's worth checking.

7. ydnac robert

ydnac robert

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

also, try a little flatter than .014" of a gap; depending on how good the fretwork is, you might be able to get as close as .010", which will make things closer all over.

finally, make sure the nut slots aren't too high; with everything else right, the strings should be almost as close to the first fret as they are if you capo the first fret and look at the second fret.

9. Pokerstar

Pokerstar Supporting Member

Thanks for posting this! The link to the Strat forum and the step by step pics are really very useful.

Cheers! :)