Strings dead out of the package ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rupture, Mar 7, 2014.

1. rupture

rupture Supporting Member

Just bought two sets of rotos online and neither had that zing to them. No lively SS sound. Can strings be dead right out of the pack ?
  2. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

Unfortunately I experienced somthing alike with a Roto E-string, a few yers ago. I also had an A-string which didn't match the rest, soundwise. I never bought Rotos again. Apparently this can happen. :meh:
  3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

I have only ever had one single string sound dead and it was because the outer wraps were not locked onto the core of the string.
  4. janforth

janforth Wal Bass Club #82 Supporting Member

That same thing happened to me, back in May of last year, I bought 2 sets of Rotosound RS66LDN NICKEL BASS STRINGS 45-105 long scale, both sets (all 4 strings in each) were dead, I had a gig the next day too.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cronker

cronker

It can, and unfortunately does, happen.
    There are some retailers and perhaps online sites that might exchange them, with receipt etc.
    There are others who simply won't because they may believe that the strings aren't actually dead, but simply not a sound you were expecting.
    Good luck.
  7. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I, hate ordering strings online!:rolleyes:
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You want to order from a place that orders frequently (higher turn over). I have seen some Rotosounds on the shelf in retail stores that are literally 3 generations of packaging old (like 5-6 years old!). I don't have Rotosounds on the shelf longer than a couple of weeks at most. (Rotosound shipments come in 1 or 2 times a week at my company).

Regardless of that... Rotosound has excellent customer service. If the store you purchased from isn't there to help you out then contact me and I will put you in touch with who can get you sorted out.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

www.bassstringsonline.com is the cure for that! You'll wonder why you ever bought strings anywhere else :)
  10. rupture

I don't know why they sound so lifeless. I used roto's back in the 90's and they were they had more clank than any other string. This is on my ric too. They should be singing. I had nickels on before that had more zing
  11. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Its a common issue with rotos, few months ago I had this issue and they sent me a free pack. Give Rotosound an E-mail, they are a very well run company and more than happy to make the customer happy. The day they sent me a free replacement pack was the day they became my go to strings, unreliable as the product can sometimes be.....
  12. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

I love ordering strings online thru this guy. Wish he carried nuts, but if strings is your thing: bassstingsonline.com. Bought Roto 77 flats recently from him and-- greatest strings ever!

fnord!
    ps I'm not a sell out. I just report my experiences. I want a cool one stop shop for my bass needs, and BSOL comes close… but where's the nuts? I shall complain on every post that I recommend your service.
  13. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    (It is very rare to have all bad strings in one package as they are made at different times and many times on different machines all together, that is a red flag to some manufacturers. But when it comes down to it, companies want you to be happy)

This is my third known bad set if rotos out of thousands. The others had a bad single string.

Few times a year Sheehan clears out their inventory on their sets :)
  14. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Lots of things compromise the life of strings - new or old. Age of product and packaging practices/type are the industry's most prominent achilles heel.
  15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Yes I have had this happen many times ... bummer ...:crying:
  16. rupture

So whats the answer , I'm trying to find my recording tone. I can't do that with inconsistent strings. I love that mid forward grind a good set of roto's get. What other string should I try
  17. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Your best bet is to find a source for strings that can assure (as best they can) that their string stock is fresh, and the bigger the packaging the better.
  18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I use D'Addario strings and I have good luck with them.
  19. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    So I have been communicating with the OP via private message and it turns out the "sets" were singles from me at bassstringsonline. He said it was ok for me to reveal this info.

We first need to clarify that it turns out the "sets" in question were actually made up of single strings from Rotosound and not actual prepackaged Rotosound sets.

Rotosound singles are acquired differently and do not have the same fast turn over with the US distribution point. There were times I have gotten them with older style or worn sleeves so I requested replacements for those. There are some that look newer but who knows how long they have been sitting.

I am going to look into when these stings were purchased and see if I have any other singles remaining from this shipment and replace them. I will also get in touch with Rotosound and see what we can do about improving the singles in general.

This brings by bad Rotosound "set" count back to two and singles are still up for debate but need to definitely have them start shipping them to us differently. (The issue isn't with the strings in the paper sleeves but how those are actually shipped)

Rotosound sets have been date stamped lately. They changed their guitar string packaging and I am not sure if they are changing the bass packaging in the future.
  20. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    There you go. At NAMM it was just guitar. Their foil pack guitar sets are different from others.
  21. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    bassstringsonline.com is the real deal! Best string buying experience I've had. I will be ordering from them again soon.