1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Strings feel too soft

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Huge94, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Huge94

Huge94

Hi there!

I went to try a few basses today (bad idea) and fell in love with a Gretsch G5442BDC Electromatic like this one: http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2518002515

Now I don't have the cash to buy it, but it seems to me that something in it was just for me. Then I realized, I absolutely loved the way the strings felt. They were stiff and seemed quite heavy.
    I now wonder if that's what I would need to fit my big heavy hands? Do you think it could be the case or is it maybe just the feeling of the short scale length (which I loved too)?

If you think it could be the strings that are missing from my current bass to get me that feeling, what gauge/style would you recommend?

Thanks a bunch!

2. Toptube

Toptube

The highest tension roundwound strings I have used would be GHS Progressives (the .040 .060 .080 .100 feels like a 045 .065 .085 .105 from most other brands).

The previous version of Elixir nickels were the least flexible strings I had ever used. Though they have a new style coating now, that may be more flexible.

The highest tension flats I've used are from webstrings.com. anything but the lightest set is going to be some serious pull on your neck.

*the bass you use will also have an affect. My Fender Jaguar tends to make most strings feel more flexible and less tension than usual. A such, I usually string it with a .105 set. But my Ibanez SRT makes the same strings feel higher tension and less flexible. So I don't string it with anything higher than a .100 set. Often lower. Other basses I've had have been in between the two.

3. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    The Daddario website has a great tensin chart for each set of strings they make. It's worth looking at.

If you can find out what that guitar was strung with you can get those.

4. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Try Stainless Steel DR Lo-Riders. They are specifically designed to be a stiffer-feeling string.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Huge94

Huge94

Thanks to all answers, I will absolutely check these out.

As for this particular bass, I tried answering the clerk but he had no idea. He thought that I got the feeling maybe from the short-scaleness of the bass and not the strings. I certainly liked it, but IMO the strings had something to do with this.

I will check those Lo-Riders. Should I get them in ''standard'' gauge or heavier?

7. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Mediums are good for me. The gauge will have to be what feels good to your fingers. Lo-Riders will feel stiffer than comparable strings of the same gauge. I like mediums.

8. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Scale shouldn't effect the tension on the string much.

If you have a 105 gauge "E" string it's going to take about 40lbs to bring it to tune.

Guage DOES effect the tenson. A 100 guage "E" string need about 35lbs to be in tune.

In short, the more stuff you're trying to stretch the more enegy it takes.

9. Huge94

Huge94

So would that mean, in order to have the stiffest possible strings, I should get a pair of these Lo-riders that were mentioned and get a heavier gauge?

10. backup

backup

try labella james jamersons if youre into flatwound strings. now that is tension.
    i had the lo riders on for a while. they are great sounding strings. but i had the light gauge nickel set so i dont know about the ss heavy ones. probably they will be stiff enough fo your needs

also consider the action. if your strings are very low it is easy to play but if you want your bass to fight back you should set them higher. i dont know if it actuallly affects tension but strings seem to be stiffer when the action is high

11. Toptube

Toptube

I personally have not found DR lowriders to be any stiffer than typical Hex core strings such as Rotos or Daddario XLs. I don't think their name and features are necessarily meant to be compared to products from other companies. Rather to be compared to their own product line, which is full of pretty flexible round core designs.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Exactly. LoRiders are only stiffer compared to DR's other strings. Compared to non DR hex core rounds, LoRiders are in fact usually LESS stiff.