Strings for a 36" scale Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tom Drinkwater, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/builder: Oakland Axe Factory
    Hi guys! I just made a 36" conversion neck for a 4 string jazz bass tuned to low G#0 and I have no idea what to string it with. I checked out Circle K and I may go with those but I like options. Any suggestions?

2. FourBanger

FourBanger

3. Tom Drinkwater

Disclosures:
    I never thought of them, thanks!

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    What is the distance from Ball End to Nut on the lowest string as well as Ball End to Tuning Post.

Many 36" basses will just use standard Extra Long or even Long Scale strings depending on the manufacturers winding length.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jensby design

Jensby design

Well mister Drinkwater there is only one brand I would recommend and that is http://www.circlekstrings.com/store/ I would go with something like .150 or .158
    I've been tuning to F#0 and lower for 14 years now and have been disappointed by the biggest gauge of a lot of brands.
    Rotosound/Warwick .175 may be long enough (a little big though) or you could custom odder LaBella or http://octave4plus.com/.
    S.I.T./Conklin .165 will not work on a 36" scale (35.25" speaking length) can not verify the .150 but for that price Circle K looks pretty reasonable.
    If you do find something you like better than Circle K let me know 'cause they've been getting all my "string money" for about 3 years now.

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    I'll measure the Conklin tomorrow I think that's a little short...

8. Tom Drinkwater

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the ideas guys! I haven't finished the neck yet, still waiting on tuners. Once I get them I'll be able to install them and measure those distances. Skip recommended the .158" or .166" set so i'll probably end up ordering a .158 set and let the owner of the bass fine tune the gauges to his liking.

9. FourBanger

FourBanger

I have to say something about Jensby's posts make me less interested in Circle K strings. Always seems like a hard sell.

They do make many more sizes and sets than most but only one type of string. If you don't like how it sounds all the options in the world won't help.

10. Tom Drinkwater

Disclosures:
    Everybody has their favorite brand. I've had people recommend that I use Circle K as the standard strings on my 8 string guitars but with everyone wanting different gauges I just made a standard set from Just Strings which I actually like very much and because I buy in bulk they are far less expensive. I figure that most people are going to change the strings out a few times to get the perfect set so I don't worry about it.

11. Tom Drinkwater

Disclosures:
    I ended up ordering the Circle K's, I'll post a review if I remember too after I install them. Thanks for the the info guys!

12. Jensby design

Jensby design

Good boy :D What gauges did you go with?

13. Tom Drinkwater

Disclosures:
    A balanced long scale (36"-37") set with a .158 being the largest string. Skip recommended those or the .166 set so being the tight wad I am I opted for the lesser expensive set. I'm pretty excited about putting them on and seeing what the bass sounds like at that low G#0 tuning. I've only tuned that low on a 32" scale length 10 string guitar with Lace pickups. This should be an experience for sure.

14. Tom Drinkwater

Disclosures:
    Hey all, I just assembled and set up the basses today and was happy to find that the .158 set actually ended up being happiest at one octave under standard bass tuning (e a d g). That makes for some really fun playing.