Strings for a 6 string tuned down

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by apdamron, Nov 6, 2012.

1. apdamron

apdamron

I just purchased a Spector Euro6LX which i'm currently waiting to receive, but i have gigs this weekend and not much time to experiment with strings. My band plays in e Flat tuning, i'm not so sure the strings that will be on will be able to drop down that much without compromising tension and/or causing fretbuzz.

On my prior 5 string, i used heavier gauge strings to compensate but figured I would ask around to see if anyone has input. The bass is a neck through body construction if that affects anything. Thanks guys
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Hi there! Congrats on your purchase!! That's a jewel for sure :hyper: About the neck through part : It doesn't really affect things. You get more sustain then with a bolt on bass, but you don't really notice something ''dramatic''.

About the strings : I think it's a good idea to get some heavier gauge on it, like your 5 stringer. I don't know if there is something around in your town, that sells thick string gauges. Try otherwise strings from Pyramid or from Circle K. They both produce high-quality strings and are both specialized in heavy string gauges.

Something like this might do the trick for you : http://schneidermusik.de/shop1/product_info.php/categories_id/69/products_id/8063

String gauge from high to low : .030 .045 .065 .085 .110 .140 ;) I think with the 35 inch scale length, it will give you a good sound when tuning down, without getting fretbuzz or such.

Good luck with it, tell me what you strings you bought and share your experience here when you performed on stage!!
  3. ixlramp

ixlramp