1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strings for an Ibanez SR 6 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hgiles, Dec 16, 2012.

1. hgiles

hgiles

I have an Ibanez SR 6 string that I bought used. The 706 has the original strings I think. My 3006E has some flatwounds (maybe half rounds) with some red string wrapped around the ends. What kinds of strings are these? They dont sound nearly as nice as the ones that were onthe 706, so I swapped the string sets.

I just got into bass playing so know nothing about how to by strings.

What came original? What should I replace them with? Can I replace just the main 4 (that get the most use)?

I want a clean clear, brightish tone, so was considering D'addario XL nickel rounds. How bought gauge? So many options and choices? Help!

Thanks in advance!
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Red silk ends could be a lot of strings, I know GHS boomers use them, I think Fender strings do as well.

No clue what would be original, Ibanez doesn't make strings so whoever they had a deal with, probably some Japanese string manufacturer.

I wouldn't recommend changing 4 of 6 strings, I would either change them all or none. It will give you a more balanced and even tone with all strings the same.

D'addario are a great choice, especially at the price point. I personally prefer DR but they do cost more money. There is no wrong choice (except for house brand strings) each string has their own perks and flaws, learn what you like and why. Do not be afraid to change. As far as gauge goes, well what do you prefer? I prefer a lighter gauge, it allows me to play faster and tap easier. I used to prefer thicker strings because they can handle drop tuning and offer a bit thicker tone.

Hope that helps.
  3. hgiles

hgiles

Thanks. Ive never played any other strings other than whats on these basses so I dont know if Id prefer a lighter gauge or not. But being able to play faster wouldnt be a bad thing. easier tapping, that too is a bonus. Whats the drawback?
  4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

My 706 came with Elixirs, as did the few others I've seen in my local GC. D'Addarios sound similar if you don't want coated strings. Go for med. light gauge, 32-130. I have these exact strings (elixir) on my bass now, they've lasted 8 months and just now need changing. I might go for Circle K balanced this time, however.
  5. LowEndMan2112

LowEndMan2112

I'm a big fan of DR Sunbeams on my Ibbys, and, FWIW, on all of my basses for that matter. I also personally enjoy a lighter gauge string, but if you're doing a lot of down-tuning or really attack your strings, they might not be for you.

Also, a bit of a plug for a great online shop: BassStringsOnline has great VIP pricing for TBers and the owner is a real pleasure to deal with. Check out the threads about the site and you'll see I'm not the only one to think this!
  6. awamori

awamori

IIRC all 400+ series Ibanez instruments from 2004 on come with Elixirs.

Anyways D'addario is a good choice if you're on a budget.
  7. hgiles

hgiles

Whatever came on the 706 work great for me, they still sound good. Whatever was on the 3006E (flat wound, red silk) sounded dead in comparison.

I think I am going to try D'Addario Nickel Round Wound XLs from bassstringsonline for the 3006E.

And, no, I don't down tune. ;-)