Strings for B.E.A.D Tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brian Crawford, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Brian Crawford

Brian Crawford

Just need some opinions. I have a set of DR DDT 65,85,105,125 new at the house and was wanting to set one of my 4 strings up B.E.A.D and keep it that way so would these work for this tuning if I get it set up right?
  2. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Is the four string a regular 34" scale? I had a P bass I did in BEAD, with the lower strings from a five string set. Personally, I wish I had gotten the 135 B string instead of the 130. I can`t say you won`t like it with those strings, but I would want a little heavier set.
  3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    That is essentially a BEAD set!
  4. ERicks

ERicks

Hey Brian, I tune like this sometimes...either for modern country gigs or for doomy stuff like Isis or Old Man Gloom. I messed with a 130 set on my P Bass at first but have had the best luck with the low 4 strings of a 135 B string set, specifically D'Addario or Ernie Ball Power Slinky 5s. Also, putting the Babicz bridge on my bass (vs the Badass II that was on it) made the setup for BEAD a lot easier!
  5. MrTaff

MrTaff

I find 60-125 feels better to me for BEAD, the B is still lower tension than the rest but it's closer than 65-125.
  6. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I have 3 basses always tuned to BEAD. I tried the DDTs, really disliked them. I generally go for Ken Smith Rock Masters with the tapered B in 130. For a 34" scale bass (StingRay) that gives a bit tighter feel for the B strings.
  7. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

You're probably going to have to widen the nut slots to accommodate those heavier strings, right?
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Yes, they should work OK. And, yes, you will (probably) need to cut some of the slots in your nut a little wider; depends on how tight they are now.

A while ago, I put a set of Warwick Low Bs (.65-.135) on my Kramer 450B (with an aluminum neck). They worked just fine, and yes, if I had decided to leave them on, I would have had to widen all the slots in the nut. I wound up taking them off again, mainly because they were just too bassy for what I like to play (a Kramer "lumie" can rattle your fillings out, even with 'normal' strings ;)). Also, the Kramer has an aluminum nut, not mounted like anybody else's, and you can't exactly get a replacement anywhere. Monster tone, though. :D