1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strings for BEAD tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by j_micho, Jan 19, 2014.

1. j_micho

j_micho

I would like to tune my G&L L2K to BEAD, but I don't want to modify the nut.

I've read some people have done this using GHS Boomer .050 .070 .095 .115 strings.

I was wondering if someone had tried this with the new d'addario balanced tension heavy set, which is 050 .067 .090 .120.

At 120, I'm still worried I'll have to modify the nut...what do you think?
  2. j_micho

j_micho

I just answered my own question. I found an old .045, .065, .085, .105, .125 set I had laying around and installed the four heaviest ones on my G&L. Surprisingly, the B string fit perfectly! The E string though doesn't (a .100 gauge would probably be perfect).
  3. pfox14

pfox14

Tuning that low will have your strings flapping around like rubber bands.
  4. j_micho

j_micho

I don't see why, if I use the right gauge of strings...
  5. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

A little trick for this is to just buy an adjustable nut. I had a brass one on my warwick FNA where the height of each string was individually adjustable at the nut. Was able to use all kinds of strings from dark lord low f# to piccolo strings and didn't have to modify the nut.

If you don't want to pay that much, nuts for 4 and 5 strings are actually pretty cheap. But i would file the nut a little. Its likely at least one or two strings aren't going to sit down in the nut all the way which will throw off intonation and make it harder to play. A bone nut for 4 strings costs $10. Much less than you'll have to spend on the strings you need for this