1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strings for beginner on 3/4 Romanian

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Noot, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Noot

Noot

Hello,

I have a new Romanian 3/4 plywood bass which I'm learning to play on the run. Having electric bass experience, I've found myself playing in an acoustic (as in unplugged) band which plays acoustic remakes of classic rock songs. We also have a singer, two acoustic guitars and djembe percussion. I am trying to study theory as well, but between a daytime job, reahearsals and gigs I get very little time for it. I play about 90% pizzicato and 10% arco, I have a white-hair French bow, the setup on the bass is barely playable due to high nut and wrongly positioned bridge (nothing I can do about it since it was sanded down too much). I play 3-finger technique, not that I have any choice since the high setup makes it impossible to hold the string with the ring finger. I have a K&K Bass Max pickup. Anyway, it's a bit of a mess and I'm probably doing a million things wrong, but ... I still need strings.
    Hoping that the long introduction wasn't too boring, I wanted to ask you guys, what set of strings could I buy for under 100$?
  2. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    In that price tag, and if you want something easy to play, I'd suggest Corelli 380M.
    Bob G. sells them for $83, and shipping to Romania is about $24.
    D'Addario Preludes are cheaper ($75) but harder to play.
    Stay away from Super-Sensitive Red Labels which may be even cheaper, but are unplayable.
  3. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

I have no idea what your string prices are like locally, but if you can find a way to budget for a set of Spirocore Weichs, they would be money well spent and last forever. I know guys that bought a bass with Spirocores on them that haven't changed them in a decade, and the original owner probably didn't either. It's more money up front, but in my experience you will be a lot happier with them both pizz and arco than most of the cheap string options.

As for your bass, you might not be able to afford a new bridge for it but if there is a reputable shop/luthier you could take it to you can likely discuss set up options. At the very least, they can likely adjust your nut for a nominal fee and make it more playable than it is now. I am not trying to completely blow your budget, but the "I brought my bass with me and was wondering if we could discuss repairs that would fit my budget" conversation shouldn't cost you anything more than the gas to get you to the shop.
  4. Noot

Noot

Thank you for the replies!
    The Thomastik Spirocores are around 250$. If you are saying that they last that long, I will wait until the current strings (Harley Benton) go dead and get those. Seems like DB is not a cheap sport :)
  5. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

The only problem with the Spirocores is getting the right set for you and your bass.
    As a beginner on a 3/4 instrument get the Spiro Weich 3/4 (3886.0W) set.
    The Mittel might be too hard for a beginner and less bow friendly.
    Also get a good (lower) setup or pressing down the strings will be harder than needed.

You might be able to play the Spiros from 5 to 20 years, depending on how much and how (pizz/arco) you play them. A lot of other strings might loose they good sound after one to two years.
  6. bskts247

bskts247

if you get spiorocores get the Weich or even solo set. The orchestra set has a lot of tension (i love them but doesn't sound right for your bass/needs) I would sugguest you get Corelli as said above. They are cheep, sound good and have very low tension.
  7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Pirasto Obligatos. Look for a used set - they'll still sound and feel great.