1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

strings for both standard and drop c tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Maxoshtut, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Maxoshtut

Maxoshtut

Hi guys.
    I play both standard E and drop C on the same bass [mm stingray] and I want to use a thicker set of strings so the C won't be so floppy, I am adjusting the truss rod when I change the tuning and it helps a little but not enough.
    any ideas? are there any thick strings that will sound great in drop C and still could be tuned to E without damage?

2. bassresistance

bassresistance

You could probably get away with a .110 set for E. I use one for C# and it's a little slack, but I think it'd be useable.

Honestly, I think you're going to struggle to get something that feels good with both tunings, but hopefully you'll manage to find something you can live with :)

3. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

Perfect excuse to buy a second bass!

4. Maxoshtut

Maxoshtut

actually I really want to buy a second bass but I have to wait one year because Im moving to a different country

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Warmuth

Warmuth Supporting Member

A .115 will do it. I tune Eb to drop C and while I do have a separate bass set up with a .125 E string for that tuning the .115 has done a passable job handling it even if it's not optimum. The .115 also balances well with a standard heavy set, better than what usually comes with them standard which seems to be a .105 a lot of the time.

7. Maxoshtut

Maxoshtut

thanks =]
    do you have some tips for me to reduce the chances of me damaging the neck? :p