1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strings for CGDA tuning. What size will fit?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Crypt Ghast, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Crypt Ghast

Crypt Ghast

I'm currently using 45/100 strings on my bass (Squier VM Jaguar), but the C is too loose and I'd prefer a thinner string for the A.

My question is, how big of a string will my bass be able to take for the C (without having to fill the nut). 115?
  2. StringslamDan

StringslamDan

Check out circle k strings. You can order a custom gauge set for about the same price as a standard set of bass strings. Their selection of gauges is huge too! If you contact them they will help you figure out exactly what you need. I had a .118 on one of basses with no nut mods. Great company! *One thing to note though is that their strings are tapered at the bridge and wont work for string through applications. At least the last time I checked. Also check out DR LoRiders. The higher tension in a standard set might work well for too. Hope this helps!
  3. Lebowsky

Lebowsky w00t? Supporting Member

110 for drop D was a revelation to me (105 felt too floppy for drop D). 110 might just work down to C.. otherwise 115 should be more than enough!
  4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I use 0.126 to 0.145 C strings and I just take a few light, careful passes on the nut with an eighth inch file to get clearance for them. I assume that the heaviest EADG string sets you can find will fit most factory nut slots so if you really, really don't want to touch the nut you can use the heaviest gauge E string you can find in standard sets for your C string. You probably want to buy custom sets however since your G string wants to be a bit heavier than a typical A string and on the top your A string wants to be a bit lighter than the typical G string. I use 0.085 to 0.095 G strings, 0.055 to 0.065 D strings, and 0.035 to 0.043 A strings.
  5. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

I use Ernie Ball Power Slinky Cobalts (110-55) for C standard on my MusicMan Sub. No nut filing necessary, and the tension is perfect for me. It's hard rock, so a bit of string clank is part of the sound, so if you like zero clank or a tighter tension, you may wish to go a bit higher.