1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Strings for Deluxe Jazz V?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Cougmeister, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

I've been having trouble with getting a good sound out of the low B. When I got the bass, I was a novice player and didn't realize how bad the low B sounded. Now, with a more developed ear, I ha e turned away from the bass cause of it. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the strings since I've messed with different setups on it. Any suggestions? I've already tried EB Slinky's and D'addario XL's

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
  3. robertusf

robertusf Supporting Member

+1....I always used blue nickels myself when I had the Jazz fiver

4. Ebelow

Ebelow Supporting Member

What deluxe jazz? I have two American 2012 deluxe jazz 5 and both had a great B when I got them. Fender strings has high tension so I changed them to EB slinkyes and DAddario xl170. DR and sadowsky great too but I like the others better. Also depends what amp and cab you use.

Do not forget to fill out your profile! ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

It's a 1999 MIM Deluxe jazz V.

7. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

You need to put tequila on the the B string, that will fix it.... it is too shy...

8. aus_bass

aus_bass

Chromes.

You can thank me later. :)

9. Mykk

Mykk

I use Blue Steels on my Jazzes, recently tried a set on my VMJ-5. The .050 -.128, they cured an otherwise dead low B for me.

I went through sets of Rotosounds & DR's

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

I'm thinking more along the lines that the Construction of the Low-B may be a good deal to do in this case - order a Taperwound B-string (I personally get great low D/C#/C/Bs from my D'Addario ProSteels and Nickel XLs) and see if that helps with low-B definition. Spector's Steels & Nickels are also very nice, but at a higher price.

You also might want to consider replacing the stock pickups with an upgrade (Bassline makes a good value, reasonably priced set of J5s). If you've changed the strings out several times and there's been no change, it might be time to go a bit deeper...

11. lowendfriend

lowendfriend Supporting Member

A good suggestion....DR SS flats is another possible.

12. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking about the structure of the string.