1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Strings for drop A#.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by WhisperAPrayer, Feb 24, 2014.

1. WhisperAPrayer

WhisperAPrayer

Tuning down that far with standard gauge strings has, understandably not sat well with me for a while. So in attempt to put my uneasy conscious to rest I've decided to look for a decent string.
    Long story short, I've been toying with the idea of a 5 string EB Power Slinky set on a four string Squier Jazz, I'm willing to fill down the nut to accommodate.
    What are your guys thoughts?

2. el murdoque

el murdoque

any set for BEAD tuning will do since you're only going half a step down from there.
    you're very likely in need of some setup beyond filing the nut and maybe a professional is required.

3. WhisperAPrayer

WhisperAPrayer

Any recommendation for string brand etc.?
    I figured that'd be the case, not exactly a common or traditional tuning... haha.

4. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    CircleK / Kalium Strings
    use a .130 or .136 set for your down tuning

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrTaff

MrTaff

It's only the B that's dropped though, everything else is 1/2 a up, A#-F-A#-D#, typical BEAD set 130-65 is going to end up with the A# much looser than the rest. I'd either go for a light 4 string set 40-100 (ditch the 40) + 130/135 or buy individual strings.