strings for drop b and c# standard?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

my band finally decided our two tunings, so now i need to to re think my string choices.

My only idea really is dr loriders, lots of tension to help with downtuning. Ive bought dr ddt strings and out of two fresh packs i got bad e strings, so not too stoked for more dr troubles.

Do rotosounds drop tune well?

Also im hoping that 110 with a set up would be enough gauge wise

2. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

Why don't you just get a 5? Sounds like your gonna be using that low B a lot, so why not invest in a quality fiver?

3. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

I use a standard e-c from ghs and tune it to drop c, not advisable but the strings feel great , I realised I prefer my string to have low tension.

4. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

Really man…get a 5 string. But, the lower you go the heavier gauge you'll want. This means for a properly set up bass you'll need to get the nut filed and possibly bridge too (epiphones and gibsons).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You're going to want something heavier than that. Probably .120- .125 for the lowest string. A .110 will feel like a rubber band tuned to B.

7. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

well i just bought a g&l jb-2 tribute which im really happy with. I also have never played a 5 string ive liked.

I was hoping to not have to get suuuuper heavy gauge strings but i do realize the tuning ill be playing in. I know a lot of people use 5 string sets and get rid of a string but im sure theres a better way.

I could probably save myself the trouble of waiting for that golden all answering post and just email the guys from circle k and bassstringsonline.com

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    At one point I had a bass set up for D standard, and I used a .050-.115 set. That would probably work for C#, but the lowest string might be a little floppy dropped to B. Bear in mind that the most common gauge for 5 string is .045-.130.

9. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

I really like DDT's, they have very even response and they downtune nicely. I also like Circle K strings (only sold through their website). You can get them in every ridiculous gauge and tension you could possibly want.

10. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

i was really excited to play those but after two e strings broke on me fresh out of the pack, im stearing clear.

Dr has amazing customer service however. They sent me a free pack!

11. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

At least a .120 for Drop B/C#. The rest, I'd get .090, .070, .050. This would be slightly lower tension than you are probably used with a standard string set.

Might require a little bit of filing, slight truss rod adjustment. I've played Drop C with a .105 for the C, didn't really 'mix' well for the style. Upping the tension helped a lot. I can't stand Lo Riders stiffness so I was using Hi Beams which I much preferred for that tuning. Don't doubt the ability of round core strings to handle lower tunings, they work just fine. :)

12. ixlramp

ixlramp

No prepackaged set exists that is optimised for switching between drop B and standard C#. Even DR DDTs will have a large tension imbalance in the drop tuning.
    You need to design a custom set from singles, the trick is to choose gauges that give you equal tension strings in the theoretical average tuning CF#BE. This will minimise the tension imbalances in drop B and standard C#, in one tuning the lowest string will be slightly tighter than the others, in the other tuning the lowest string will be slightly looser than the others. I believe this is exactly the advice you would get from Circle K Strings.

Use the 'XL nickelplated roundwound long scale' chart here http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf it can be used to roughly approximate the tensions of any brand of roundwound, nickeplated or steel. However this doesn't list flat or sharp notes.
    Probably easiest to use the Circle K chart http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKtensionChart.pdf
    First use the charts to find your ideal tension, then choose gauges that give you that tension in the average tuning.