strings for eb-3

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by unclebass, Dec 10, 2013.

1. unclebass

unclebass

I am checking out an Epiphone EB-3 later today. Still not sure if I will be getting it, but if I do, I will most likely be changing the strings. What is your experience as to what type of string sounds best on these basses? Not necessarily brands, I'm talking about rounds, flats, stainless, etc... I've never laid my hands on one before, so I don't know what to expect.
  2. bbao

bbao

It's usually personal preference on whether you like the jazzy tone etc.

Personally, I LOVE flatwound strings on it due to the playability, smoothness and general sound aswell. I have yet to try tapewound strings but I'm sure those will be pretty good too.
  3. unclebass

unclebass

Went ahead and got the EB-3 that I found on craigslist. Practically brand new. Comes with roundwounds with red silks. While making a few adjustments, the seat for the bridge started coming out of the body. I think this is a common problem. I used a little gorilla glue and reseated them. I put the original strings back on it, but detuned it to BEAD to keep tension off freshly glued seats. I think I am going to get a new set of rounds, without silks, but may go down in gauge to decrease tension on bridge seats.
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Rounds
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. unclebass

unclebass

I see that the original strings are gauged 45-65-80-105. Most strings do not come in these gauges. Should I go to 85 for A string, or step down to 40-100 set?