Strings for ESP LTD B-4E

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Seba_H5001, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Seba_H5001

Seba_H5001

Hello everyone, I'm getting a LTD B-4E and I'm searching for good strings. I want roundwounds, nickel or nickelplated, so my fingers won't get hurt. I like them to be not too tight, a little loose I'd say. I use medium gauge (45-65-85-105). I've heard EB's sound pretty good, but wear quickly, also that Rotosound has bad quality control and I don't really know about D'Addario's and DR's. In what sound is, I want some good slap tone (doesn't have to be the best of all, but good) and I play with my fingers (sometimes use pick, especifically for songs that are played with one, but don't care much about the pick tone for choosing my strings), and I play mostly every genre, from rock to funk, to metal and punk (not jazz or blues), I'm more a rock bassist. Also I like my action low, but don't like fret buzz.
    So, what do you guys recommend me? :)

http://www.espguitars.com/basses/ltd-basses/b-4e.html
    It's a 34" scale.
    PS: I'm Chilean, so sorry if my English is bad hahahaha :hyper:

PS2: Slap is not the most important thing, I prefer a good finger tone, not too metallic, a little more warm :)

2. gary m

gary m

I like Pyramid Pure Nickel rounds.

3. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

D'Addario XL nickel has good nickel strings for a good price and in all gauges. I would try them exl 160. the g and d strings are little heavy but with a proper setup, it will cover all of your playing styles :)

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Never had any issues with rotosound and been using them as main string since the mid 70's. Never heard of them having any qc problems unlike DR. But try your current fave strings and see how those work for you with new bass. If not decide what little tweak you want to the sound. At which point suggestions for new strings to try can be done.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Seba_H5001

Seba_H5001

Well, I feel a little embarrased but, this is my "first" experience buying strings. I played some borrowed basses with good strings, but don't know what they're. I have an Hofner Icon with LaBella flats, but I don't want flats. I'm thinking right now in Rotos Swing Bass 66 (stainless steel), D'Addario XL Nickel and DR's Hi-Beam (all in 45-65-85-105 gauges). Nickel is supposed to be smoother, DR's looser and Rotos I don't know :D
    So, what's better for what style and so?

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Maybe daddario xl nickel then. Great middle of road string, low cost, great relaibility. The rotos are going be a bit more agressive if agressive sound is wanted though.

8. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I think it comes stock with SIT Powerwounds which are warm & bright sounding strings, and exactly what you're describing. D'Add XL's are nearly the same, but I think the SIT Powerwounds sound a bit better, and last a tad longer. Elixir Nano's are beautiful sounding (coated) nickel rounds, and won't hurt your fingers.