strings for my gretsch

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Unemploid, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Unemploid

Unemploid

i have a gretsch g5123b. i've been told to get flat rounds for this bass, but i don't like flat rounds, unless when it's appropriate to use like for jazz. i've bought d'addario long scale half rounds 45 -100. right now i'm using d'addario long scale half round 50 - 105, which sound good, really good when new. next i'm thinking of getting the same but higher gauge, 55 - 110.

i play rock, btw. i got the half rounds because i wanted the flat slide with a round wound sound, best of both worlds.

but from watching this video, leads me to believe i could find a flat wound with a round sound.

i don't know if i want the low end growl.

what strings should i try my bass next?
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

D'addario chromes are brighter than a lot of rounds. The rotosound flats in that first video are also super bright but very high tension. Tapewounds work well on hollowbodies. They're generally less bright than most flats, but Labella makes a "white" tapewound set that's are bright and super smooth.
  3. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    You might like GHS Precision Flats.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/GHS-Precision-Flats-Flatwound-Bass-Strings--4-String-Set_p_465.html

A bit lighter on the low end than the Steve Harris strings Ed mentions. The Harris set gauges are very similar to the old LaBella flats that almost everyone used 50 years ago, including James Jamerson.

I'm running TI Jazz Flats on my Eastwood Classic 4, but not everyone likes the tension, and they cost more. Another option might be Sadowsky flats, but they don't offer a .050 G string.

http://www.sadowsky.com/strings/black_label.html
  4. donn

donn

I have La Bella 760M heavy gauge flats on mine - but you sure wouldn't want that! nor even less the GHS flats, I would think. If you really want those sproingy tones, I wouldn't look for them in a flat wound - some of them have a little of it early on, but it fades. As I suppose it might with rounds too, but at least I guess they're cheaper.

If you haven't thought about "pressure wound" strings, might look up some videos for Rotosound 55 and GHS pressurewound. No idea how long they hold their sproingy sound.