1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strings for my Sting

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Orpheus55

Orpheus55 Supporting Member

For years I have used the 8250M taperwounds on my Sting bass with great results and very little fretwear. Now, however, these same strings do not sound right, the E especially. I went with flats for awhile, but the Sting's higher registers seems to come alive with rounds. Any viable alternatives to the 8250M's? I was thinking D'Addario's extra-long 45-105 but am open to suggestions.
  2. gary m

gary m

I've used GHS Brite Flats in the past with good results. The single coil P pickups do seem to like flats though, and I've settled on GHS Precision Flats for my own instruments. Both types are relatively inexpensive if you decide to experiment.
  3. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

My Sting came with Roto 77's. The PO told me that he tried many strings before he settled on the Rotosounds. I have never seen the need to change them although I rarely gig this bass. I do play it at home.
  4. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I use same strings and have not had any problems. I will be changing the strings in January so I will see if I notice any difference.
  5. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

DR Sunbeams are the warmest and lowest-tension rounds I've found. And they last a long time.
  6. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Yes, I would try Sunbeams. 45-105.

I think that's what Sting uses on his original Sting Bass.
  7. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

This.

Or try Sadowsky flats.
  8. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

I have D'Addario Chromes on my 51 P-bass (basically the same as the Sting bass) and totally love the sound. Of course, your mileage may vary.
  9. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

What kind of life are you guys getting with flats on these? I was under the impression that only LaBella have a flat made to go through-body. I've loved Sadowskys on my other Precisions, so if they will go through-body, that would be really cool.
  10. GHS Official

GHS Official

Disclosures:
    Official Online Voice for GHS Strings & Rocktron
    Our Precision Flats are long-scale plus, meaning that they'll work ideally for string-through bridges. I had a set on my Lakland P (with the string-through option) and they work great in that regard.
  11. tekdiver500ft

Excellent, thanks.
  12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I have TI Jazz flats on my '51 reissue. They sound beautiful, really; particularly in the higher register, and especially when using double stops or chords. String -thru.
  13. tekdiver500ft

Good to know, thanks! Seems there are many flats that work string-thru.