1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strings for slapping

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Dec 24, 2013.

?

Strings for slapping

Poll closed Jan 8, 2014.
  1. Rounds only (Never tried flats)

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Rounds only (Tried flats ands didn't like them)

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  3. Flats only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Switch depending on situation

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Groundwound/other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Strands of Penelope Cruz's hair

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Which string type do you use??
  2. Dug2

Dug2

i use circle k's. imo, the best strings for slapping are anything really
    bright sounding. dr fat beams would be my 2nd choice
  3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Previously MysticMichael Supporting Member

I wouldn't really refer to myself as a slapper. But if the question is, "Which strings would you recommend for slapping?", light-gauge DR Hi-Beams come to mind as a very good choice.

MM
  4. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Steel DR Lo-Riders (.125 B). I am typically slapping down in B in a high gain guitar/insane drummer metal context.
  5. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

2 questions:

Are they nickel-plated or SS(I hate steels)
    What gauge?
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I don't know about Circle K, but the Fat Beams are SS, as are the Low Riders recommended by chaosMK and the High Beams recommended by MysticMichael.

Many slappers prefer SS strings, because they have plenty of top end, allowing the slap sound to really cut through. I am an avid slapper, but like you, I hate SS strings. However, I have found that virtually any roundwound strings will give you enough top end for slap. My preferred strings are actually DR Sunbeams, a nickel-plated string with a reputation for being the amongst the mellowest and warmest of the rounds. But they actually sound great for slap. You can hear me slap them here (on a Carvin) https://soundcloud.com/uneven-steven-518/caliente

The brightest nickel round I know of are D'addario XLs, and would also be a good (and inexpensive) choice.
  7. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

DR high beams. 95 to 45. Got the sound and last a long time. Before DR there was GHS boomers which are a good less expensive alternative.
  8. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Since no one here seems to be a fan of flats for slapping, what about TI Jazz Rounds( the flats are my overall preferred strings, with pyramids as a close second).
  9. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Ive found THE rounds 4 me:TI Jazz Rounds. Anyone slap with them???
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Nope. Flats ain't for slappin.
  11. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

I like to use EB Super Slinkies. Not overly bright tone but still snappy, and well rounded. They're my all around strings as I don't play a single style more than others.
  12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Previously MysticMichael Supporting Member

I think it ultimately boils down to one's tonal goals. If you're looking for the sharp, brilliant, percussive attack that is characteristic of slap bass, then the best option is almost always stainless steel roundwounds - or at least roundwounds of some type.

If, however, you're committed to the smooth, dark, thumpy character of flatwounds, that's really nearly the polar opposite of the classic slap sound. Which raises the question: What type of tone and attack are you really trying to achieve? :eyebrow:

Yes, cats do use flatwounds for slap. But it's always seemed to me like trying to achieve a certain goal with two tools that work contrary to each other - like trying to start a fire with a damp rag...or trying to put out a fire with a can of kerosene.

MM
  13. Duckwater

Duckwater

Rounds or flats, both sound great but I prefer flats tonally.

This is the kind of slap tone I go for, though a little cleaner & brighter: