1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

strings gauge vs low action

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nicopiano, Nov 25, 2012.

1. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Hi,

A luthier told me that it's easier to get very low action without too much buzz on a bass with bigger gauge strings.

Is that true?

What is your experience about it?

Thank you,
  2. The Birdman

The Birdman

It would be logical, if one assumes the same relief and action settings for all gauge strings, since the larger strings shouldn't flex as much when they vibrate.

Roger
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's true to a certain extent because they'll be stiffer, but I don't care...I'll take my puny strings with low action any day ;)
  4. soulman969

soulman969

Yes in general it probably is true but some basses will take a very low action even with lighter string gauges. Neck relief, neck angle, fret height and condition, the bridge, and the type of string will have an effect as well.

I think you can run out of adjustment range on any bass but with a great set up it's a lot lower than some would imagine.
  5. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Thank you!