1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strings going to "wrong" tuning pegs.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cbyrd2200, Feb 17, 2014.

1. cbyrd2200

cbyrd2200

[​IMG]

I really do hate to call it wrong (because its different! not wrong) but I just needed to get the idea across.

Why do players do this? Quite frankly, I didn't notice any difference in the playability of an instrument strung in such a fashion. Maybe someone can explain something I missed?
  2. LagBox

LagBox

That looks like it could potentially fix the 'rattling A string' issue that's fairly common with this kind of headstock. The A string is pulled under the string tree here.

Is it worth it? I don't know.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

It's fun
  4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I'd call it wrong because it greatly increases the odds of busting a nut, so to speak.

And transferring it to the G string.
  5. themarshall

themarshall

Maybe the strings were originally on a 2 + 2 headstock?
  6. cbyrd2200

cbyrd2200

Not true. Think about this. in order to prevent the string from buzzing within the nut, they pull it downwards over the nut in order to bind it in the nut .Remember, the A string typically has a straight path to its tuner (this is why they can't pull the A sideways like the G in this picture). By bending the G string sideways, you are still causing the string to bind. So the G string on the bass does not, will not, cannot rattle when strung like this.

At the same time, this is not the correct solution to this problem. I've found that by putting as much string on the tuner as possible, I've been able to get rid of buzz on the A string of my jazz bass.

Edit: just thought about this. Take a fender bass with your typical A string buzz and press sideways on the A string behind the nut. The string stops rattling. Its not because your finger is muting it. Otherwise the string wouldn't make sound. Its because its being bound in the nut.
  7. cbyrd2200

cbyrd2200

One hell of a gap between the E tuner and A tuner on that bass with the 2+2 headstock if that's the case.
  8. johnson79

johnson79

In 24 years of playing bass I've never seen this. Looks ridiculous.
  9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I will call it wrong because it is wrong. It is going to side load the nut against the string, making it more difficult to tune, and can damage the nut. That and it just looks silly.
  10. unclebass

unclebass

That would explain this layout. E and G strings are shortest, A and D strings longest. You could do it if 2x2 strings weren't cut overly short, just really not a smart idea.
  11. john m

john m Supporting Member

Pulling a string sideways does not always stop rattle.

As stated--- you should wind the string so it ends up low on the tuner post to create downward pressure. Or install a tree.

12. hover

hover

Add me to the what the holy-heck am I looking at camp...never seen, heard of, nor ever occurred to me or any of my fellow bassists to ever do this. Did you just make this up because you had an oopsie or odd "moment of clarity"? Fess up

And don't blame it on it being a Squier...never seen one come like that. Mayhaps it's the new Pete Wentz signature?
  13. Major Softie

Major Softie

I would get SO confused when I was tuning....
  14. cbyrd2200

cbyrd2200

Craigslist, my friend, is like a box of chocolates. You never know what your going to get. I was about as surprised as you are.

Edit: I've played a 5 string bass before where the low B went up to the A tuner on the bass side of the headstock, the A went down the E tuner and the E went down to the B tuner. That was where I played a bass strung as such; as I stated in the original post. I found this particular picture on a craigslist ad. Just clarifying.
  15. hover

hover

As James Earl Jones and Malcom McDowell would say...that's totes cray cray.
  16. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

17. Carl_D

Carl_D Guest

I'm game.... I'll call it WRONG and stupid. One of my pet peeves is basses with strings that get pulled sideways past the nut. This takes it to a whole new level. :scowl:
  18. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Why do players do this? Brain damage.
  19. line6man

line6man

I've seen the E and A swapped around on high end basses, in a half-assed attempt to compensate for the lack of a string tree, but never anything this silly. :eyebrow:
  20. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

When I first clicked into this thread and that picture came up, I laughed uncontrollably for several minutes, until the tears streamed down my face and I had to catch my breath. Even as I type this I'm fighting off giggles. :D