1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Strings sound too twangy and bright?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ztoneill, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ztoneill

ztoneill

Hey everyone! A nooby question here but I'll do my best to explain it. I recently got a new set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings to replace the old set I had. I love the feel of em but the tone sounds too bright and twangy for my tastes.

So here are my questions:
    -Will the string's tone come down in brightness as the strings stretch out and relax?
    -If there are any roundwound strings that are warmer in tone and less bright that I may like could you list them?

Thanks,
    ~Zach

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

3. Schlyder

Schlyder

New strings will be bright and "zingy" for ahwile. They mellow out over time. How long depends on how many hours a day/week you play. This mellowing occurs through the strings stretching out and getting dirty.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    They will eventually feelings sound like what you had if you replaced them with the same gauges...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The Nameless

The Nameless

Ya can also use yer tone control(s), ta reduce the twang. If a passive jazz bein used, turn both volumes down a fifth of volume range or so. Not much output dropoff, but lows become thicker. This might help. But yeah, they'll warm up pretty quick, dependent on how often used.

7. ztoneill

ztoneill

Actually when I first got the new strings put on I did have turn the tone down and adjust the eq and even then it was way too twangy xD At my bass lesson I had my teacher get it properly tuned and after that it has mellowed down a lot :D

Anyways thanks for the help, everyone!

Zach

8. The Nameless

The Nameless

Glad it worked out for ya. Lotta times sittin an practicin alone at low volumes, I hear the bass acoustically, and thru amp. The fretnoise I get is clear, but doesn't appear in the amp, only in my ears, off the fretboard. That tricks me into thinkin my strings all twangy. But really it just noise of my hands playin. Controls on basses do not have ta be dimed, an learnin the manipulation of volumes an tone controls important. All kinds of sounds in just a passive J. Glad ya got straight. What'd yer teacher do, exactly?

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Sounds like you could also use a pup adjustment. Lower the bridge pup just a little or raise the neck pup just a little for starts. For better tonal balance.

10. CorrosionMedia

CorrosionMedia

I personally quite like the sound of new strings, especially EB Slinkys.
    Basically just give them some time and they'll go duller or adjust the tone or EQ to cut the treble a bit.

11. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

i just replaced my strings for the first time in a year.. replaced them with the new cobalts.. i love the new twangy sound.. makes me want to keep playing slap lol.

12. ztoneill

ztoneill

Sorry for the really late response! He loosened the strings a good amount and then properly tuned them. I'm thinking that they just wore in over time.

13. Jkaz

Jkaz Supporting Member

I've never tried EB strings, so I don't know much about them, but I went on their website to see if you had nickel or stainless steel strings, and I'm pretty sure you have nickel roundwounds. I wouldn't expect the nickel strings to have zing to them, but every manufacturer is different from the other.

The website has a spectrum reading for each set of strings, and they do advertise that the nickel round wounds are near the brighter end of the sprectrum.

When you decide to get new strings, I would recommend trying nickel roundwounds from DR, they come out of the package like they've been pre-played. Very little zing and punchiness, and there is very little degration in tone from the first day you install them on the bass, as compared to other new bass strings.

Anyways, as you found out, all roundwound strings mellow out over a certain period of time.

14. David Jayne

David Jayne

Classic, effective but little known Jazz Bass trick. The volumes act as tone controls.