strings, strings, strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wrench45us, Dec 9, 2013.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

When I started bass a mere 2 years ago and discovered talkbass, I didn't understand at all why anyone would want more than one bass. Now somehow I find myself with 3.

And now having more than one bass makes more sense. They each have a very different character and different strings. As it turns out, strings that just suit one bass, don't work at all on another -- as much as I might like that.

So I have one bass that doesn't play very well, but has this beautiful hollow woody tone thanks to Status Graphite half wound strings. The pickups don't have the clarity the other basses manage.

Another p/j bass has a great warm and mellow near P bass sound thanks to D'addario half rounds strung thru body for extra sustain. This one has a great neck, but I feel like I'm constantly wrestling the body and the pickup system is noisy.

My most recent bass by far plays the best -- great neck, great balance, just feels right, pickups are dead quiet, but it turns out to be the most finicky and just wouldn't work with a lot of B strings that were much more thumpy and had significantly less sustain mismatching with the other strings till I went with GHS Pressurewounds -- and they sound better every week. So I think I just have to let it be what it is and see where this goes as the strings age. I can't really force the hollow woody sound out of it I wanted to.

but I keep thinking maybe I can

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Bringing your B string in line with your E string's tension may help with volume, sustain and tonal mismatch, and consider a tapered B.