1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strings to open up my plywood bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by burns_isaac, Dec 9, 2013.

1. burns_isaac

burns_isaac

This question Im sure has been worn out and beat to death but please bear with me. My previous post resulted in the discovery of Helicore Orchestras that are on my newly purchased used bass. I assume they are about 10 years old considering the last time the guy I bought it from actually played the bass, but could be older. The strings have to be so dead it's unbelievable and especially the E string, it produces almost zero sound fingered. I'm transitioning from electric and have been practicing with bow exclusively and will continue to do so until I get my intonation somewhat together. Here comes the dreaded unanswerable question: What is a good string that will open this plywood bass up, not too much tension just yet until I can build up more stamina but not so little that its sacrificing in volume or tone, easily bow-able, has good fundamentals( I learned about that from TB ha),a more "modern" tone with good sustain for both pizz and arco and very open?
  2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Spirocore weichs.
  3. bskts247

bskts247

I was gonna say Evah Weiches. I have the "normal" evahs on now and i love them. They are a little old school for pizz though.
  4. burns_isaac

burns_isaac

Forget tension. That limits my options if everything Im reading is correct. Although my bass is plywood, I still want as close as I can get to a beautiful bowed tone without sacrificing sustain in the pizz department. The bass is a Karl Reiser Czech made plywood. Another edit, screw bow-ability. If a great sounding string is going to make me have to really get my arco technique together then so be it. Am I searching for a string that doesn't exist? Im willing to go the combination route also. I absolutely can't deal with a low power, low volume, flubby sounding E.
  5. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Spiro Weichs.
  6. burns_isaac

burns_isaac

I've read almost as much as I can bear about the durability of Dominants, string roll with Obligatos, bowing issue with Spiros, and varying degrees of opinions on Animas, Evahs, Bel Cantos, Flexocores, Helis, and the list goes on. Lol. I don't know what to think anymore. I just want a string that can sing a Cello Suite and really dig in for a hard swingin' blues.
  7. burns_isaac

burns_isaac

So that's two for the Spiros. I have zero experience with strings other than these dead Heli Orchestras so please excuse my ignorance. Lol.
  8. eerbrev

eerbrev

95% classical player here. Spiros. just work on your bow technique and you'll be happy for the rest of your life.
  9. burns_isaac

burns_isaac

Thank you all!! The winner is....Spiros! Now, are there specific tensions or types of Spiros that are preferred over others?
  10. burns_isaac

burns_isaac

Oops, Im sorry it looks like the weichs were recommended. Thanks!
  11. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

I recently put on a set of lightly-used Dominants. For pizzicato I like them more than the used-up set of Obligatos the bass came with. They have more harmonics and midrange, and the E is less flubby. For arco, the Dominants don't speak as easily as the Obligatos did. I have to grab the string and let up pressure quickly, and use a slower bow speed.

How do the Spiro Weichs compare to the Dominants for both pizz/arco?
  12. burns_isaac

burns_isaac

Im not shutting down yet. I spoke too soon. The more opinions the better.
  13. Champagne

Champagne

In my experience, Spiro Weichs on my one bass sound boingie when pizzing moderately to hard where the mittels did not. Spirocire Weich were easier to bow than the mittels.

One of my basses has spirocore weich which has had mittles and helicore, another bass has velvet blues which has had spirocore and obligatos and my 3rd bass, I don't know what is on it. Have to check.

Edit: Zyex is on the 3rd.
  14. misterbadger

misterbadger

I replaced Spiro Mittels on my ply Upton with Evah mediums. They sound darker and a little fatter than the Spiros, which sounded harder and brighter. it was a good switch for my bass, YMMV - I do want to try the Spirocore Weichs sometime, and a bass luthier buddy is pushing Superflexibles...
  15. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    S42 which is the 4/4 set. At pitch on a 3/4 bass the tension will be lower for you. I would also recommend you confirm that your bass is set up to its potential because that can be more important than your choose of strings in sound and feel.
    I recommend spirocores because they can really wake up a plywood bass but also because they have a clear tone which will help your technique in the long run. Another benefit is that they last and last and last........
  16. Champagne

Champagne

Zyex could be an alternative too?

The bass that has the Zyex on it is a hybrid and inexpensive DB. I was super surprised how the bass sounds. They seem to bow nicer than spiros too, at least they sound warmer than all the spiros I have bowed in the past which has only been 3 different basses. This bass that has the Zyex on it has never had spiros though.

Spiros are great strings too!

Good luck.
  17. bskts247

bskts247

I would also say try the Zyex. Not as scratchy as Spiros to an inexperienced bower and great pizz sound
  18. captnmervo

captnmervo

I'll offer another recommendation for Thomastic superflexibles
  19. burns_isaac

burns_isaac

Does anyone like the Kaplans?
  20. Champagne

Champagne

I've always been a fan of Charlie Kaplan.