1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Strings with a nice growl.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CriminalCypress, Feb 1, 2013.

1. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

I just got the part of playing bass for my school's musical. Well, I'm the understudy, but nonetheless I don't think my clanky and bright stainless steels have the right kick that i'd want to show off during rehearsals and whatnot. The play is Grease, but I want a nice growly (if i'm using the right term) tone to play on with my ATK300. Something that could sound like this:

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!
  2. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

This video comes to mind. I think a set of D'addarrio Chromes will get you pretty close.
  3. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

Yeah i just listened to a few demos and they sound nice, I didn't think flatwounds would get me a tone like that. I've only ever tried a set of Fender Flatwounds and they were pretty much just thumpy.

I play in a punk band though, so i think that flats might give me a hard time being versatile. Can any roundwounds get a tone like that?
  4. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Daddario xl (after they break in), chromes, rotosound swing bass after they break in (not twangy highs, rich mids, after a couple weeks their sustain dies a little)
  5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Nothing does growl better then Rotosound swing66 imo.
  6. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

Good suggestions so far, anyone else wanna vouch?
  7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    So are you looking for a good tone for Grease or a good tone for punk ? When I think of songs in Grease I think thumpy Motown P bass with flats. When I think of Punk I think of gritty P bass with steels.
  8. samtastic

samtastic

Roto sounds swing 66 or GHS bass boomers
  9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Flats are probably the more traditional choice for musicals, especially one like Greese with a very old school tone, but a great all-around string with great growl are Circle Ks.
  10. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

I ended up just getting some chromes, and they sound pretty nice actually. Not the full on growl i wanted but it does better than my previous strings.
  11. BassSurfer

BassSurfer Supporting Member

DR Lo-Riders. They bring my basses to life and don't sound "clanky" at all! I had a set on an ATK300 at one time and it sounded amazing ESPECIALLY in that last position on those ATK basses. About to order a set on Amazon right now!
  12. bearfoot

bearfoot

+1 to both, ghs punchier IMO, rotos growlier

been using the roto 66s on my main workhorse p/j for 20 yrs, occasionally the boomers -