Strip of Foil

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DavidJ88, Jan 2, 2014.

1. DavidJ88

DavidJ88

Hi I'm putting a bass back together again but I have a strip of foil left over that I remember went in the electronics cavity from the bottom up to the lip of the cavity but I cant remember where. Anyone have any ideas?
  2. P Town

P Town Guest

It may be part of the shielding system. Is there any shielding on the pick guard? If so, it may be intended to provide an electrical connection from the pick guard to the shielding in the cavity.
  3. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

If it's an old Jazz or an old Jazz reissue, it comes out of the bridge pickup cavity and goes back and under the bridge. It is the bridge ground strap. If it's not an old Jazz, it may be a strap that goes to the back side of pickguard shielding.
  4. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    It doesn't matter where it is located in the control cavity so long as it touches the shielding paint in the cavity (or shielding foil if it has it), and goes over the lip of the recess for the cover plate. It is the electrical contact between the shield in the cavity and the foil on the back of the cover plate. Anywhere is fine so long as it makes contact with the cavity shield and the cover plate. Best location is at a screw hole, that way the pressure of the screw ensures that the cover contacts the foil strip.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustForSport

JustForSport

^^^ That's the connecting strap for the cover shielding.
  7. DavidJ88

DavidJ88

Turnaround I think your right the cavity is sprayed with conductive paint and the cavity cover has foil on it, I thought it went in a specific place but obviously not cheers for the info!