1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Stripping... don't get excited boys.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SIFJiggy, Feb 11, 2014.

1. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

Hey knowledgeable TBers! I'm trying to custom build a bass out of a Squier body. (starting w squier for a reason) Being my first time - I wanted to ask how I should strip the finish --- even IF I should strip it. It's a standard black finish on it now with a few chips. I know I'm not doing a trans finish, so maybe I want to sand just to rough up a little, put on a primer and then go to town with whatever color I want.

So I guess it's a two part question:
    1. If I'm going to refin multiple guitars, where I do eventually end up with a trans finish, how should I strip?

2. Being my first, will it look good if I just paint over (sand and prime first, of course)? This would be cool cause I could have some immediate gratification and hone my paint application skills before a "real" refin.

Thanks!
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Just block sand the existing finish with 400 grit until all of the gloss is gone. Clean it with grease and wax remover and spray your finish. The primer isn't necessary unless there are bare wood spots. Fill the chips with super glue and sand it level with the finish before spraying.
  3. sbass traveller

sbass traveller

+1 if you're not going to bare wood just sand it.
    If you are going down to bare wood, a heat gun and scraper will take that poly off.
  4. pfox14

pfox14

I would recommend a good paint stripper like Strip-Eze. Once you removed most of the finish with it, you can clean up any remaining bits with some clean rags and acetone. Then sand down to the bare wood. A trans finish on a Squier might not look too good, since the body is probably made out or basswood or other cheaper material that won't have a decent grain pattern.
  5. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy Supporting Member

I can see going down to bare wood for translucent finishes - but, otherwise, painting over is a perfectly acceptable practice? - I can find crap bodies anywhere and even though I'm a pretty decent rattle-can pilot, I'd like to spend less time stripping and more time applying paint before I try to get too fancy/expensive.

Thanks for the responses!
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Yes it is perfectly acceptable, the existing finish is a perfect sealer. Why would you go through all the extra steps to strip it and reseal the body if it is already done.