STRONGLY considering a tattoo!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 1SHOT1HIT, Jan 20, 2013.

1. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Okay, so I'm 33 years old - I've never had an issue with them, just never could think up anything I'd want to look at the rest of my life.

I really don't know why but lately I've been really torn on whether to get one done.
    I still have no clue what to get, and the only idea I'm considering I'm not so sure how I feel about it. Kinda mixed emotions.

So I'm sure MOST of you guys are familiar with "The Pink Bass Story"
    For those who aren't.
    I bought a near mint beautiful Pre CBS 1962 Shell Pink Fender Jazz Bass for 100 bucks last year.

Well, I guess the way I'm looking at it, that story will probably be shared between myself, & family, friends for years and years.
    It's still a common question I'm asked by them, most ask if I've sold it yet, and why am I so stupid for keeping it.
    Well I LOVE it, almost obsessively so.
    I'll likely NEVER even consider selling it.
    Barring my families health, & well being.

So this lead me into thinking at first, maybe I'd do the Fender "F"
    That lead to me thinking, well, why not just get the headstock Jazz Bass Decal somewhere!
    And of course I then started thing wth, if I'm gonna do it why not do it right.
    Just get the whole damn bass tattoo'd on my arm somewhere.

And then I constantly end up asking myself, do I REALLY want any of these on my body permanently.
    I mean, it's forever, and ever, and ever.
    Shouldn't I be 100% sure I'd want that?

And just as much, I start telling myself, why the hell not? I mean truth be told, you really do only live once.
    It's just a tattoo.
    I've seen some really crappy ink and I figure if they can live with their mistake, I could too if I didn't like it later.

What was your first tattoo?
    How old were you?
    Do you regret it?
    Would you do it all over again?

What did you get?

For the record. My tattoos would not ever cost me anything outside of the expense of needles, & Ink.
    My best friend of 30+ years is a VERY skilled artist, and the two of us have spent out lives drawing together.
    He's been inked up for years and years now, been doing tattoos for a while.
    Ever since he started he's BEGGED me to come to the "dark side"
    I'm having a really tough time passing up free work for anything I want.

Just can't decide, I damn near caved in and let him start one Friday Night and then slowly just talked myself out of it.
    No he's not really pushing me into it, more joking around, he really doesn't care if I get one or 50 or none.

Can't decide, need help!
    Sorry, I'm really just venting somewhere I know I can.
  2. Staredge

Staredge

If you can't decide, then you don't want one badly enough. When you figure it out, you'll know. Don't get one that you aren't 100% certain of......they're (mostly) forever.
  3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

Personally, I would not want to wear a brand's logo so I'd ask myself if there's other ways to ink this story.

I currently do not have any tattoo. But my first will be a half-sleeve that spreads to the pectoral area on my right side. I'm still in the waiting phase to see if the idea wears off.

Oh, and if you're hesitant, I'd advise against getting it.
  4. blastoff99

blastoff99

This. You don't get a tattoo; a tattoo gets you. If you're on the fence, it isn't right, at least not for now.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Richland123

Richland123

Just remember, it's FOREVER and you might not feel the same way 30 years from now.
  7. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Yeah I kinda share this same feeling.

I feel like if it was meant to be on me I'd be 100% sure and there'd be no question.

Idk, maybe I just needed to hear it from others.

Sucks, I KNOW I'd get something to memorialize my uncle done, I really like the picture we had laser engraved on his headstone.
    Really really want it done, and have for a while.

My buddy is an awesome artist, but he isn't that good, even he admits that.
    I need someone world renowned or close.
    I'd be pissed if I got a flickted looking portrait of my family member done.
    I'll get it done one day, but not until I can get to a REALLY well established artist.
  8. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

My first tattoo? A blue eighth note on my left bicep.

I'd been thinking about getting a tatt for years. Talked to people that had them. Even talked to some artists. Had some ideas but after I thought about them for a while always changed my mind.

I went through a few years of serious hard times. Grinding sadness. And one night I realized those times were finally behind me

Done. Finished. Accepted.

And the idea of the blue note just came to me and I had it done.

The blues aren't about feeling bad they're about living in spite of the bad times. And when I see that blue note it doesn't remind me of all the sadness but of that first breath of freedom when I came out the far side.

I have other tatts and they all represent something significant in my life
  9. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Got a two headed dog (Melvins Houdini album cover dog) and a two headed cat on my arms. Looking to get more soon.
  10. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Only you can decide dude.
  12. oniman7

oniman7

Wait a year and if you still want it you can probably live with it
  13. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

Since you hit the bass guitar lottery with that '62 Jazz, I think you should get "1 Lucky S.O.B." em-blazed across your chest., (In Shell Pink with the Fender font of course.) :D
  14. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

My only suggestion would be to be mindful of where (on your body) you have it done. Some employers frown on tatoos, so you might want to put on a part of your body where it could easily be concealed with clothing if necessary.

I.E., Dont put it on your neck, wrist, FOREHEAD, etc.. :p
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What's the underlying motivation to get one? You don't even have anything in mind as to what you'd want or the reason behind it. What will it do to improve your life? So what's the real reason you think you want one?
  16. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Don't know Munji?

I really don't know, it's never really taken a priority in my life.
    I've got all kinds of inked up friends, both of my brothers, & some uncles. just never felt overly compelled to get one myself.

Every couple of years I start leaning towards doing it, and never go through with it.

I don't dislike them, nor do I feel I MUST have one.

No great underlying reason I guess, I've never really stressed being like others.
    I've always been the one who does me.
    Like I said, all my friends, brothers, and some other family have tatt's, & I'm quite used to being the one without, been like that for years.
    I also don't drink, and ALL of them do regularly.
    So it's not some great hidden mission to fit in or anything.

I honestly don't know why?? But I guess I'm kinda like, why not too??

Damn I'm just torn, I like being clean skinned.
    But, I see tattoos constantly I'd love to have, and I think I'd love them if I could just decide on something I really like.

Oh, and I'm a bit scared I'll go too far with it too.
    I just know, if I start on my upper arm I'll probably be sleeved by next year lol.
  17. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Dude, that shell pink Fender is one of the coolest things ever.

I can see why you'd want to do it. If there's ever been a reason for someone to get a brand name, or corporate logo on themselves, yours is a good one.

I'm not here to tell you yea or nay; that's going to be your choice.

But I can totally understand why you're thinking about it.
  18. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Something else to consider would be your belief system. I do not want this post to be a violation, so I shall try to tread VERY carefully.

Just remember that the same Book of Leviticus that holds the consumption of shellfish and the practice of homosexuality to be an abomination also says the same about tattoos.
  19. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I am sure the OP has an understanding of his own beliefs and what he deems is the correct path for himself.
  20. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    unless "been doing tattoos a while" means your buddy has been working as a professional tattooist for years and has an extensive portfolio you will regret it. I have seen HUNDREDS of tattoos done by "buddies" who were "incredible artists". NONE of these tattoos were worth an inch of flesh. I've seen dozens of truly great artist not be able to put on a convincing kanji. tattooing is a craft as much as an art. free tattoos are the most expensive. they will cost you your self respect.
  21. robd

robd Supporting Member

To get a tatoo or not is a question many Christians struggle with. I believe tattooing falls into the category of "disputable matters" where the Bible is not clear. But wait a minute, you might be thinking. The Bible says in Leviticus 19:28, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the Lord." (NLT) How much clearer can that be?

It's important, however, to look at the verse in context. This passage in Leviticus, including the surrounding text, is specifically dealing with the pagan religious rituals of the people living around the Israelites. God’s desire is to set his people apart from other cultures. The focus here is prohibiting worldly, heathen worship and witchcraft. God forbids his holy people to engage in idolatrous, pagan worship and sorcery which imitates the heathens. He does this out of protection, because he knows this will lead them away from the one true God.

It's interesting to observe verse 26, "Do not eat meat that has not been drained of its blood," and verse 27, "Do not trim off the hair on your temples or trim your beards." Well, certainly many Christians today eat non-kosher meats , get haircuts and shave without participating in the forbidden worship of pagans. Back then these customs were associated with pagan rites and rituals. Today they are not.

So, the important question remains, is getting a tattoo a form of pagan, worldly worship still forbidden by God today? If you are considering the question, "To tattoo or not to?" I think the more serious questions to ask yourself are: What are my motives for wanting a tattoo? Am I seeking to glorify God or draw attention to myself? Will my tattoo be a source of contention for my loved ones? Will getting a tattoo cause me to disobey my parents? Will my tattoo cause someone who is weak in the faith to stumble?

I got a tattoo that I believe glorifies God. It's got 3 nails forming a cross intertwined with ICHTYS (the "Jesus fish") which means is greek Jesus, anointed, God, son, savior.

Just so this relates a but back to the OP, I didn't get mine until I was 49. Also couldn't figure out what to get and waited until I found something I was passionate about.

Attached Files:

• tat.JPG
      tat.JPG
      File size:
      129.6 KB
      Views: