Strumming now painful

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ezmar, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So, recently, When I've tried doing the Les Claypool style strumming, my finger will be hurting a bit, almost like there's too much resistance. It's hard to explain, but I guess it's like I've never done it before at all, and by fingers can't handle it. I use fairly light gauge strings, and it never used to be a problem. It's not aging, since I've yet to break 20.

It's not a huge issue, but if I ever want to do a song with extended chording for some reason, or some of Geddy Lee's later stuff, where he strums the single note, it would be difficult. Any thoughts?
  2. Russell L

Russell L

No, no, pal. Whoa, it ain't supposed to hurt. Nothing about playing is supposed to hurt.

Start over. See how softly you can do--the same things, only lightly. It may feel weird at first, but just keep at it, and soon it will show you a whole nuther world of enjoying what you play.

Trust me. Just do it.

P.S. You can still play just as loud while hitting the strings softer. Check that feeling out.
  3. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

Is it your technique that is hurting you or is it the strings rubbing your fingers?

If it's the technique, I agree with the above, something isn't working for you. Not saying you won't be able to do it, but it could be the angle of your arm, wrist, bass height etc. So maybe try adjusting one of these and see if it helps. It may LOOK different to how Les looks when doing it, but it's the sound/effect you are going for.

If it is your fingers, that is more a matter or getting them used to it. You may need to build up callouses etc. So maybe start lighter and build up, or just practice for a shorter time frame with this technique & build up

Good luck
  4. Ezmar

Ezmar

Yeah, I'm guessing it's a setup thing, since I used to be able to do it no problem, and I am using a different bass now. It's not a huge deal, since I don't really do it to the extent that it hurts much, and it's not anything crippling, just a little harder than I remember it being. It's definitely technique, since I have hella callouses.

Thanks for the input. I'm sure the issue will resolve itself, one way or another, it's just nice to get some opinions from time to time.
  5. Register to disable this ad