Strunal 50-1 or Englehardt C1 for backup Knockabout bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rickwolff, Mar 10, 2014.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

I'm thinking of selling my Eminence RN 5 string and getting a laminate bass for my backup. The Eminence sounds GREAT (especially now that I put on a new Lifeline PU - but I think I'd just prefer to play a regular (3/4) bass. These two are available locally and thought I'd check to see if there is any consensus for one being better than the other. Prices are about $700 (Engl) to $900 (Strunal) which seems reasonable for a ply bass.

My main bass is a Shen 7/8 Gemunder - just wanting something tough for when I might go into harms way.

Thanks.

2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Depends on when the Engel was built...the recent C-1s have Brazilian cherry fingerboards, which are supposed to be decent. The Strunal 50/1s had ebonized whitewood fingerboards the last I heard, as did older Engel C-1s. I personally wouldn't string one of them with anything more abrasive than weedwackers or plain gut for fear of paying to put a new board on my beater bass. Both makes are alleged to occasionally use non-traditional glues, which is a fun feature to discover when a repair is required.

What about this? It looks pretty nice for the price:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/4331912607.html

3. rickwolff

Kung Fu,

The Hillbilly bass would be great for going into harms way. Use the stick for a cudgel and the tub for a shield. Great medieval bass.

Re: Jatoba vs 'ebonized' white wood. How can I tell the difference? (Other than having my luthier look at it?)

4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

I took the liberty of finding the ad you mentioned. I hope that's not stalker behavior. If I found the right ad, the bass looks identical to an '80 EC-1 I sold last summer. That bass had a good sound with plain gut and seemed capable of taking a beating aside from the broken neck I repaired and the painted maple fingerboard (no exaggeration) that had a number of deep grooves. I vote you keep looking, even for a beater bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rickwolff

Was that the ad for the bass (Doghouse) west of Greensboro? If so I will take your suggestion and keep looking. Thanks!

7. rickwolff

I just got an email from the seller. This EC-1 was made in 1970. I'm thinking maybe I should invest a bit more in my new 'backup bass' and get a new Shen or Thompson Ply (although I don't know if I could call a brand new bass my 'beater bass' but the ply would certainly be more damage resistant than my carved 7/8. Getting a new bass would get me that great 'new bass setup', an ebony fingerboard, and the new strings of my choice. Hardly seems worth buying an old ply for 7-900 when I can get a new one for 1500.

8. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

An Engel from the second year of production should have Kluson tuning machines and outside linings, and will be as close as you're likely to get to a Kay for that kind of money anytime soon, cheesy fingerboard aside. If it's healthy it should have more personality than a modern Chinese bass, but my own experience with beater basses has been to sell the Engel and buy a nice new predictable carved Shen. That's a first-world problem right there.