Stu Hamm/Washburn ABG!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darkstrike, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

2. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

I haven't seen mention of the bass yet. I could have sworn another seller had the same model bass up a few weeks ago.

3. Jjango

Jjango

Whatever it is, I like it!

4. chadds

chadds

I have several of the originals in the 5 string version. They were reissued by Washburn and can be purchased still. They are not Stu Hamm's. The unique component is the tone controls that are vol t and b and not the equiss system found on so many low level acoustics. If the reissue is the same it sounds real fat and rich and good.
    25 originals were made. They are really fine instruments with arched back and front. Michael Rhodes, Ready Freddy Washington and Hutch Hutchinson use them regularly. They were originally $2500 and were only purchased by pros. The price and the fact that the unplugged thing had barely just started made them a little before their time.
    Find Kenny Loggins live in the Redwoods and Bonnie Raitt live etc. to hear these fine instruments.
    They have little acoustic volume and are meant to be plugged in and actually played at loud volumes while sounding acoustic and nothing like an EB. Hutch's is fretless. The low B is righteous.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chadds

chadds

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Looks a lot like my AB20, which must be 15 to 20 years old.
    [​IMG]

8. chadds

chadds

The AB40 and AB45s have a volume and bass and treble control and a rounded cutaway. It has a Japanese pre and piezo. The tops and backs are arched. The other ABs have a different preamp and piezo, fishman, that resides in the side. The sound is very different IMHO.
    There are significant differences:) and a huge price difference new. While the AB40s and 45s were a special run during the early MTV unplugged era the others continued.
    I am not speaking negatively about your bass! They are all great!

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Well, Stu has played Washburn acoustic basses for a while, though not a signature model. He used one on his Outbound album!

10. Buskman

Buskman

Is this possibly just a standard Washburn with a Stu Hamm autograph on the headstock, being labeled a 'Signature Model' by the seller perhaps?

Like it was said before - either way, it's a nice one!

11. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

The seller is a Washburn dealer and sells specials, limited runs, b-stock, and damaged Washburns on a regular basis. It could have have been an AB40 with a custom finish that never went into normal production. Similiar to the AB90i that were for sale a year or two ago.

12. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Disclosures:
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    These guys are well respected in the BCR community. I am sure that this is real.

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Funnily enough, I just bought another Stuart Hamm signature bass this week...should be here when I get back from Preston next monday.

I used to have a Kubicki, there will always be a massive Stuart Hamm fan in me!

14. Tactician

Tactician

Ha - this thread died then - whatever happened to the "Stuart Hamm" Washburn then? I think its funny when you come across these old threads that suggest all sorts of things that have been apparently launched at NAMM - never to be heard of again. Just shows how powerful rumours can be.

15. no1likesme

no1likesme

16. Tactician

Tactician

Well, I like IT as well, but are we still talking bass here?

17. ivyman

ivyman

in a recent interview with australian bass magazine hamm stated hes working on a bass with washburn and is going to do some new things with acoustic basses so he can play his sh## on it

18. Tactician

Tactician

Stuart has had a business/playing relationship with Fender for (I think) 17 years. His was the very first signature bass that Fender made and it's been in production in many guises since that time. I just can't believe thet Stuart would do anything to jeopardise that relationship. There may well be a Washburn project, but I bet Fender know about it and if they felt uncomfortable, Stuart would pull out. So much gets announced at NAMM that subsequently vanishes. It's all about getting headlines. Doesn't mean it's a fact - more a discussion point - whatever!

19. ivyman

ivyman

i dont think fender would care

nikki sixx has a signature gibson and ephipone and also a signature ovation acoustic

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Well, Stuart did mention to one of the guys at his forums that he was working on a Washburn ABG model. Yes, Fender makes his electric basses but I'm sure they won't have a problem with him having a business relationship with Washburn.

21. Tactician

Tactician

I'm sure the chief exectutive or President of Fender wouldn't mind and a whole lot of other vice Presidents of one thing or another wouldn't mind. But I know form my time as a marketing manager, many years back for BT, that you have a budget to achieve various targets and when that budget is spent on individuals, you feel they are very much your own property, your own private realtionship. You get very close to the people you hire outside the company and try to get their 100% attention on what, togteher, you are trying to achieve. And you want everyone elese in the company to see that realtionship, and you want everyone in the market to see that this person thinks so well of your products and services, that they are backing you with their reputation, their street cred..

Because all these projects like the Urge bass come down to being the responsibility of a very small group of individuals (marketing manager, product R&D, production management) and with one budget holder. I don't think the Washburn project will fly. If I were at Fender, I'd tell Stu that you're our guy, when you speak at a show I want poeple to know you have only one loyaty - to Fender.

Think of your girlfriend going out with someone else on the nights you never wanted to go out with her anyway. It doesn't put you out, you wouldn't be seeing her anyway - but you'd still like to think her focus is on you alone? I can tell you for a fact that marketing managers want to work with people who are focused on their agenda - not moonlighting down the road with another manufacturer. They really do care and would be emotionally hurt by finding out someone you thought was on board with a product line for 17 years was actully developing a new business relationship with a competitor.