1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stu Hamm's "Bass Basics" on TrueFire.com?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Reiver, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Reiver

Reiver

I'm new here... just bought a used Squier Affinity P Bass last week, and I'm looking around for some online and/or free instruction options. I found a couple of Stu Hamm's TrueFire videos on YouTube. If you've ever used these, I'd appreciate your critique.

A bit about myself: I'm 46 years old, native Texan, living in Kansas since '95. Was quite the tuba player in high school, the old band jacket loaded with patches and medals. Decided I needed music back in my life, and thought this was a sensible way to go.

--Reiver

2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Have not used his lessons, however, he touched on all the basic fundamentals. I think you will be in good hands.

Your band days will help. I found the following very helpful. Online Bass Lessons at StudyBass.com

Welcome to the bottom end, but, with tuba - you have already been there. LOL - Welcome to bass. :bassist:

3. Synthax

Synthax

I purchased this and it has helped, especially for someone like me who works 100+ hours a week and has no time for proper lessons yet. Between the advice I have been getting on here and that video series I'm making progress. Its a decent video series with some good stuff, don't try to keep up with the instructor in the disco part, you'll go insane trying if you're as new as me. A word of advice, print all the charts out prior to going through the program, they help a bit since his fretboard does not have any dots on it for a landmark. also, don't even bother trying to find a shirt like his, its so epic, it must be a one off kind of thing :)

Now if I could just find some simple instructions on how to just kind of jam out etc with out all the sheet music theory etc. I like that stuff, just not 100 % of the time.

Good luck and take care

Neil

4. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

IMO Jamming is a lot of assuming. You assume the chord progression and assume what bass line goes with this song and adjust on the fly.

To be comfortable with that you have to have played with a lot of sheet music - so you can assume what probably is going to happen. Start playing with your CD's and DVD's. First thing you have to assume is the key, after you can recognize the key them think about the progression you will use. In public you can watch the rhythm guitar's hands and change chords when he does. After awhile your ear will tell you if you assumed right.

Have fun. One more thing. If everyone is jamming no one is going to be exact, relax and enjoy the ride.

Of course IMO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hambone 70

Hambone 70

I just found Stu Hamm's Bass Basics lessons on TrueFire. What a superb, top-quality, professional website!

Stu's lessons are fantastic, too. They're clear, easy to follow, and well-presented.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Disclosures:
    PiccoBass Dealer
  8. fearceol

fearceol

This is one of the best on the net IMO.

http://scottsbasslessons.com/

9. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    I watched one of stu hamms videos...pretty good....what I have been using is this site...its really great and I am doing all the lessons. www.studybass.com

and listen to Malcom! he can usually figure out where people are and what they need...and is very helpful!