1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stuck between three basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guinness20, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Guinness20

Guinness20

Feels like I've spent months looking around for a new bass - well finally today I went into a music shop and tried everything! Surprisingly the three that stood out were the 3eq stingray, the am. standard p bass and the am. deluxe jazz bass. I really like the 2eq, but I don't know if it was the action or what but I could hear everything on the strings (might need to try another one elsewhere), and I ruled out the am. standard jazz as I preferred the sound of the precision.

The American Deluxe jazz is a beautiful instrument! Not at all keen on the passive sound, but with the active circuit it can produce so many different sounds. It's just really versatile, and I really like the pan knob as oppose to a switch. It felt great, amazing satin finish to the neck. If I went for this I'd go for the natural finish, the wood grain is gorgeous!

As soon as I picked up the precision I knew it was a quality instrument. The custom shop pickups were incredible, in fact it was probably the best sounding bass I played. If I went for the precision, I'd have to go for mystic red. I'm a finger player and I like to rest my thumb on top of the pickup, so the only niggle I had when trying this was that I didn't have much room to rest my thumb on the split-pickup. So I was thinking maybe I'd get the luthier to put a thumb rest on there for me, and at the same time maybe put a black pickguard on it for me (can't beat red with black pickguard and maple).

Like I said I tried the 2eq stingray and loved it, but it was a too bit aggressive - I don't know the word to describe it, but I heard everything on the strings, you could hear when I hit a fret. I was so surprised when i picked up the 3eq - it was a different animal! It had a real growl to it!

So there we are; all three are beautiful looking and great sound instruments. The only negative for the p bass is resting my thumb on the pickup, for the stingray I don't like the finish to the neck as much as the fenders, and I don't like the passive tone of the jazz. With the stingray it depends on the price of different finishes, if money were no object I'd go HH in candy red - but that's probably out of my price range.

So what do I do? :help:

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have owned a Stingray and didn't like. I currently own several basses included MIA Precision and an MIA Jazz Deluxe. I agree with you that the Jazz sounds great in active mode but in passive, the output level dropped significantly and I didn't care for the tone. I removed the electronics and set it up passively by installing Lindy Fralin pickups, new pots and capacitors. I love the way it sounds. I like my Precision but I find myself playing the jazz much more due to the feel and more tonal options.

3. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    I would go with the Jazz just for the variety... down the road, maybe you can grab a P or Ray to get that signature tone.

4. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

…feeling like a fool/loving all of you is breaking all the rules

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    Have you tried an FBASS?

7. Andrew B.

Andrew B.

Go play these three again. Don't necessarily do a/b testing. Just play them and see which one starts to emerge as the winner. Also, think about which one might be better to have right now, and maybe another one could come later.

8. Guinness20

Guinness20

I absolutely agree with you about the variety with the jazz, that's why it's still in the mix tbh. Well the 2eq stingray was just too aggressive, but I liked the 3eq so much more. It had a nice growl to it but not too much, a lot more useable in different settings. However I might have to rule out the stingray on cost, depends what prices they bring back to me. The one I played was vintage sunburst I think, wasn't fussed on that. It's tricky - I think I could afford the 3eq in candy red, I can afford the 3eq in natural, and then I saw the honeyburst. The 1st picture looks ace, but the honeyburst on the hh looks like a different colour, much darker (I'd have to put a black pickguard on it). I can actually afford the hh in honeyburst, but in that picture at least it's not all that

Attached Files:

9. DogBone

DogBone

Versatility schmersatility, the Precision was the best sounding bass.

Looks like you've answered your own question! ;)

10. DannyBob

DannyBob

What you do is try and win the lottery...

11. Guinness20

Guinness20

Sounds like a plan! Well I can get so close to the p bass sound with the jazz, albeit with a little less low end - but then I own a thunderbird, which is great for low end, but then I want something completely different to that.

12. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Why not ask a bunch of strangers?

13. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Go for the jazz!!! Awesome bass! But they are all classics for a reason. Just keep playing them all and see what you like best!

14. Guinness20

Guinness20

Do you think there are different versions of the honeyburst finish, or is it more to do with the actual picture?