Stuck saddle height screw

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bubish, Mar 28, 2014.

1. bubish

bubish

One of the saddle height screws on my Peavey T-20 is stuck. I tried soaking it in WD-40 and then PB-Baster (when the WD-40 didn't work). Unfortunately, I got a bit overzealous with my allen wrenching and stripped the screw head. :oops:
    I can't carve a slot for a flat blade screwdriver into the screw, as neither end sticks out from the saddle (the T-20 has some VERY fat saddles!).
    Does anyone know any way to get the screw out, or am I looking at getting a new saddle?
    If it IS new saddle time, does anyone have any spare T-20 saddles or know of any aftermarket ones that will fit it?

2. GM60466

GM60466

heat it carefully with lighter then try again

3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If it's an allen head and you've rounded the hex, work the wrench down into the hole after putting a piece of foil over the hole. The ide is to push the foil down into the hole with the wrench. it's not easy and it doesn't always work but it's worth a try.

Heat it up first and you will have a better chance of getting to moving.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Worst that can happen is you'll have to drill out the old screw with a bit narrow enough so the hole threads aren't damaged (leaving just the screw threads in the hole's threads) then chase the threads/re-tap the hole and install a new screw.

Take it to a tech (or maybe a machinist) if you don't feel comfortable doing that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Always use PB Blaster 1st...
    Anything else keeps it from getting in there and doing its job.