1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stuck Set Screw

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by munkeyfish, Mar 25, 2014.

1. munkeyfish

munkeyfish

Hey Guys, trying to replace my pickguard on my Fender 1995 USA P-Bass. The Tone knob set screw is buggered up to the point that I can not get that lil thing to turn. It is a tiny flat head set screw on a solid shaft in a chrome knob. Looks like it may be a brass screw?

It was full of grime from nearly 20 years of playing live and practice's. I can see the head and it is not stripped, just really stuck. Have been soaking WD40 (applied w/ a tiny brush) in the hole and used a small flathead screw driver. And nothing. It worked on the Volume, but not the tone....

Any tips? Should I seek out a better cleaner/lube or better tool?

2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I would try some penetrating oil in the screw hole. Let it sit for a few hours and try to loosen it again.

3. JustForSport

JustForSport

WD is a moisture displacer- sort-of does some other things on the side.
    PB Blaster is a penetrant/ lubricant: the best for getting stuck stuff loose, even rusted.
    ATF fluid will work in a pinch.

4. Terracite

Terracite

Yes. Get the right screwdriver. You'll know because it fits "right" with very little play. You can apply more torque with the correct tool before the head strips.

WD works ok, but there's better stuff. Lacquer thinner, brake cleaner and carb cleaner are my faves. If you've got a friend that's into old machinery, like antique cars, motorcycles etc, let them have a look.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Terracite

Terracite

Like JustForSport said, ATF works good too. And if you've got a nitro finish, be very careful with all the stuff mentioned in this thread.

7. munkeyfish

munkeyfish

I work at a motorcycle shop... I have everything at my fingertips.

Thanks!

8. M0ses

M0ses

WD40 won't get you far at all. As mentioned previously, PB blaster is a fairly safe bet. It's gotten me out of numerous similar pickles.

9. SteveV74

SteveV74

Put a little gasoline on it with the brush, just a little.

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If you have a pointed tip for your soldering iron, or even a flat tip small enough to reach the set screw, warm up the iron and put the tip against the setscrew for a minute and see if it won't come loose.