1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Studio Bass !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by damageroom, Dec 26, 2012.

1. damageroom

damageroom

Hey guys,

I own a recording studio and I'm in the market for a new bass... So I come here for some advice.

First of all, I mostly deal with metal bands... from like "Black Label Society" to "The Black Dahlia Murder"
    (in terms of style... not fame :)) so I need a 5 string. I need to be able to go to drop A basically.

Second, I used to own a warwick rockbass corvette (so, basically, the chinese version and not the $$) and
    was honestly pretty satisfied with the sound... Not floored by it, even though i had nothing specifically against it.
    However I liked the overall looks of the bass and how solid it was.

Third, it needs to be a bass that can used by bands I have in the studio... Some of those bass players...
    well, most of them aren't bass players, they're bad guitar players that hang out with their friends...
    So as much as I'd love to buy a german made warwick corvette $$ neck through with all the options, I am
    not ready to invest that much money so that people of questionable skills and questionable hygiene can put
    their questionable fingers on my bass :D

So... With all that, I was wondering what you guys thought... I myself have been looking at either a warwick
    rockbass corvette $$ or a warwick pro series corvette. Do you think one is more suited than the other for my needs ?
    (I do like the exotic woods on the pro series, but I am curious about the $$ pickups)...

Do you have other suggestions ? or a bass to sell ? :)

Thanks in advance !

2. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

3. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

4. Espresto

Espresto

A good used Ibanez would be ideal IMO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. knumbskull

knumbskull

for that kind of modern metal, something with active EQ, a nice hot output, and humbuckers, I should think.

one of the budget Sterling Musicman range might be good for a classic, modern, heavy sound? perhaps someone who owns one could chip in. or the new SUB range.

(I have one of the active MM22 OLP copies and it records heavy stuff really well. but they are discontinued)

7. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

I am mostly in drop D so I can't personally speak for how well it performs over time in Drop A, but I can tell you the Sterling by Musicman line basses such as the Ray34 and the Ray34ca (Classic Active) are great sounding basses and I use them for rock, some metal, and punk all the time. I'd say get a Ray34 or Ray34CA (try before you buy obviously) or an Ibanez SR505 (I've spent a lot of time with one but don't own one). The Ibanez has strong output and a very slim body and neck for those guitarists turned makeshift bassists.

8. mr.black

mr.black

Ibanez BTB series or ESP/LTD F4E or Surveyor

9. RxFunk

RxFunk

+1 on the sr505, a friend of mine plays metal like 99% of the time and loves his, although he has the 4-string version

10. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sounds like there's some comedic scenes at your studio.

It sounds like an Ibanez would be appropriate for this scene. And you won't cry why some dude carves his initials into it. Save the high-dollar basses for personal use.

11. damageroom

damageroom

It sounds like you guys don't think the Warwick is such a good idea... I thought the $$ pickups were similar to Music Man stuff...

You have no idea... Sometimes, it's actually quite sad :)

12. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I for one don't think the $$ pickups in a Warwick sound at all like the humbuckers in a Musicman...I feel the MM's are much clearer and more dynamic and can have more character edge to their tone when you want it. I don't know about your area, but I can find used Musicman 5 strings in my area pretty much any day of the week.

13. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

I had a german $$. Didn't sound like a MM at all

14. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

SPECTOR ns2000/5 try one of those for SURE or a euro 5 or even a Legend custom 5...

15. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED

16. Buskman

Buskman

+1 - I'd recommend a Fender Am Std P5.

The Precision is probably the most studio-tracked bass ever, so it has a proven reputation. Plus, it has a familiar design/feel that most bassists are accustomed to.

Going w/ the 5 string version gives you the low B option, so for the low A just tune down a whole step (ADGCF) & you're good to go!

IMHO, simplicity is sometimes the best route. Just my $.02... :)

17. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

To many metal bands, a passive P bass will probably generate some cuss words...

Until they hear it in your mix.

Plus, they take abuse very well.

(if they really are just guitarists playing bass, then the neck will be a factor. If they know their way around a 5 string, however, I guess they might appreciate a nice chunk of neck - even be inspired by it!)

18. audiomitch

audiomitch

I owned a studio for around 20 years and very rarely had someone needing to use my bass. Maybe the odd single artist guy doing all the parts. Most people who came in brought their own instruments.

That said, it wouldn't make sense to buy a cheap bass. Even if it's some guitarist filling in on bass, they probably already have a cheap bass for playing shows. Buy something decent and then you may have a selling point for your studio, although the ROI would probably be pretty dismal.

My $.02