Studio Musicians

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by nataku, Nov 8, 2012.

1. nataku

nataku

I was curious as to how often you find yourself bringing in outside musicians for sessions that you produce. Do you have specific people that you usually push for, or do you let bands pick who they want to play with? I don't know how often the situation arises, but in cases of working with a group like Paramore, how did you guys end up picking a drummer?
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

All the time. Depends on the band/artist/circumstance. But I have a great hit list of bass players/guitar players/keys/drummers/horn players/strings/arrangers, etc. that I consult at will.

With Paramore, Ilan Rubin was a natural choice. Generationally similar to Paramore, with very fiery musicianship and great time and feel.

JMJ
  3. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    And he has the most curly hair. Huge deciding factor when hiring a session drummer, but it’s a blessing and a curse for them. Lots of cool curly hair gets you drumming gigs, but it is megadeath to your shower drain. :^P
  4. nataku

nataku

Cool beans. As far as bass/guitar/synths go, do you find yourself calling in outsiders often or do you play the parts yourself? Do you think it's easier to get the right results if you play it yourself, or do you like to stay more in the producer role?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dragan

Dragan

I didnt know you 're playing with Paramore. Very talented band! Good luck!
  7. jmjbassplayer

I'm not playing with Paramore. I produced their upcoming record and also co-wrote a handful of songs with them for it.

I like to play the parts myself more often, it's just quicker and less expensive. However, I'll for SURE call on a homie when I realize what is outside of my limitations. Thankfully, I'm fairly aware of what those limitations are.
  8. SonicBlueJoe

SonicBlueJoe Supporting Member

Absolutely no suck up intended. I come to this forum regularly for the knowledge. This thread is just another example of why your spot on TB is far and away the most interesting. Dude, do you have the Fountain of Common Sense bubbling up in your back yard? Your answers to questions are always so...ON.
  9. jmjbassplayer

aww shucks! thanks...tryin'. I like helping folks. I always enjoy the forum. I learn stuff too, obviously.