studio vs. live sound

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Freddy-G., Nov 30, 2012.

1. Freddy-G.

Freddy-G. Supporting Member

I am listening to "I'm So Tired" on the Beatles White Album. And noticed Paul's J Bass tone. Very, VERY mid-range-scooped tone. Almost only a thump sound is audible.

Just throwing out this idea out that our "studio" tone (the settings on our amp) is so very different from our "live" (the settings on our amp) tone. Although we try to achieve the same tone. :)
  2. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    What works in the studio doesn't always work live because a studio is the ultimate controlled environment in most cases. Paul liked to use a mute on all his basses -- either a chunk of foam under his Hofner bridge, the crank up mute on the Rick or the under-bridge-cover mute on the Jazz. That and flats or tapewounds explains the thump.

Working to create a studio sound live can be difficult for any number of reasons. My personal experience is that it's easier to recreate studio tone live when using flats than it is with rounds. With rounds, I find that you almost have to use DI and a mic in front of the cab to get the true sound you heard from your amp to come out FOH.
  3. Freddy-G.

Freddy-G. Supporting Member

Using a foam mute could explain why it is difficult to discern between the sound of his Hofner, J Bass, and Rickenbacker. Apparently, his fingers and the foam mute, made his recordings sound much alike. Although, on recordings like "My Guitar Gently Weeps", it is so obvious that he's using a J bass.