1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Study a Bass Player, Song-by-Song

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TRob1293, Dec 6, 2013.

Study Which Bassist

Poll closed Dec 16, 2013.
  1. Geezer Butler - War Pigs

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. John Paul Jones - How Many More Times

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. Geddy Lee - Red Barchetta

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  4. Roger Waters - Embryo

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Scott Reeder - Spaceship Landing

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Peder Bergstrand - Texas Pt 1&2

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. TRob1293

TRob1293 Supporting Member

I do not know if this has been done in here, but I'd like to get a bit more from my hours and hours spent here in TB (other than a massive cranial growth of bass gear knowledge).
    I'd like to study... study a bassist, song by song. Real study... like technique, note choice, tempo, sections of the song, how would YOU play it, how it could be learned or studied, how it pushed or drove the song, it's history, etc...
    We could post notation, tabs, point out how to learn it on bass, pics of concerts, gear, interviews, different recordings, whatever. I would really love to study bass players through the songs they played.

This would probably not be for the pro, weekend pro's, or know-it-all's; maybe just us bass noobs and those willing to lend a hand, point out inaccuracies, or look at something in a different way. What better way for budding bassists to learn then to jump right in! :bassist:

I guess we should do a poll for about a week and see which bass player people would like to study first. Since I started this (particular thread) - I think I will choose the players to drop into the poll. :bag: If any one would like to run with the idea and study a different player from a different genre - awesome - do it! I'd like to join those too.

I'm going to title it: Player study - Bass Player Name - Song Title. So when we start a new thread (study) or have many threads on many Bassist/songs going at once (which I really, really hope happens) we can find them easily.

For example:
    Player Study - Geezer Butler - War Pigs
    or
    Player Study - John Paul Jones - How Many More Times

The Poll will list a player and the first song to study (unless the Player is really wanted, but a diff song is fairly unanimous in choice). I really hope this gets off the ground. :hyper:

You Tube of Poll Choices:
    Geezer Butler - War Pigs
    John Paul Jones - How Many More Times
    Geddy Lee - Red Barchetta
    Roger Waters - Embryo
    Scott Reeder - Spaceship Landing
    Peder Bergstrand - Texas Pt 1&2

2. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

Learn "How Many More..." in both position(7th fret E octave A string and 2nd fret E octave-D string). I pick this one because it has several essential grooves that are used commonly in classic rock. Plus it teaches you to hold back on the beat, then take charge(as the E riff gets heavier with the vocals etc.).

You could just learn the main riff to get by with a band, but you should learn as much of the real bassline as possible. This bass part also teaches jam instinct.

You should also maybe pick out an ACDC song to learn, one that just has pumping 8th notes(Thunderstruck, Dirty Deeds etc). That way you keep in touch with both playing styles.

3. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Indeed. I must have 4 or 5 versions of this on my iPod, so I play this often when it comes up in shuffle mode. They all have different vibes to them, different sections included or not. Lots of fun. Favorite version to play is Royal Albert Hall 1970.

4. TRob1293

Any place to find these versions? I could go for a solid JPJ study, but I need to know how to go about it; where to find the material.
    Thanks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

7. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

I'll need to double check my iPod to confirm, but off the top of my head:

original album version - 1969
    Danmark Radio version - 1969? From the DVD released in 2003 or so.
    Royal Albert Hall - 1970 from the same DVD
    BBC sessions - 1969, CD released 1997(?) Disc 1
    Fillmore West Bootleg - 1969, nicked from YouTube

As you can see, these are not all available in audio versions "off the shelf". The ones from DVD and YouTube I converted by feeding an audio out into a recording interface and then edited the different tracks via ProTools.

These are cool because they demonstrate how the band was evolving and feeling there way through things. Before Whole Lotta Love, this was the song where they did the medley incorporating a bunch of older blues and early R&R tunes. Fun to play along with to keep you on your toes.

My band does an instrumental version of Traveling Riverside Blues, which started as a goof at rehearsals and evolved into something we do at clubs now. It's turned into a jam incorporating the riff from Levee Breaks, and then into How Many More Times for a few bars to end it. One night a regular at the bar who has his own band came up and started singing HMMT. We rolled with it, with he and I guiding the band through it. Went great until we got to "The Hunter" part, they had a hard time with the transition there, we rolled back into the main riff quickly. ;-)

8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies

This is a great idea! ..and you've listed some of my favorite bassists :hyper: (Although, I did have to look up the last two.)

I have to vote Geezer first, & JPJ as a close second :bassist::bassist:

9. TRob1293

I guess a tie and we could start 2 threads for whomever wishes to participate in either, or both (or even all three, if it happens).

I did find 'Song Facts' for 3 of the 6:
    Red Barchetta
    War Pigs
    How Many More Times

10. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

I think there's an isolated bass version(guitar hero) of "How Many More Times" on youtube. I say learn it the regular way first, then check with youtube for accuracy.

11. JimK

JimK

...back when I decided to get "serious" (about 1.5 years after I was given my 1st bass)- I locked myself in a room addition in my parents' home...no AC, Led Zeppelin's LPs up to Houses Of The Holy, a songbook called "Led Zeppelin Complete" & my ears (FWTF). That was my summer of paying dues...JPJ is a great study; his style can cross over into other genres, no problema. The "material" can be found on their albums. Too old-Skool for you? :)

12. TRob1293

Not enough of us noobs want to carry this?
    Maybe being the holidays - this would be a better topic for the deep of the winter months, say Jan 2?

13. skwee

skwee

Red Barchetta is such an epic song and is almost symphonic in scope: thus, it gives you lots to delve into. Melody, harmony, groove, background, solos, tone, timing, etc. I've been studying this song for years and it still presents a challenge. It's like Bach or something.

14. Technical6Str

Technical6Str

Couldn't have said it better myself. And being an ex-Toronto bassist, it has a "home town" appeal.

Cheers :bassist: