1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Study Bass opinions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ryrich22, Mar 22, 2013.

1. ryrich22

ryrich22

Any thoughts on the study bass sight? I have looked through it and it seems good. I was hoping somebody with more experience may be able to dig in a little deeper with the good and bad, if any. I am also looking for a theory book designed for bass. I had one for guitar that I believe was through Alfred that was good. While here I was hoping to find some ideas. Thanks to all.
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

www.studybass.com is well worth any time you elect to spend there. IMO there are no negatives at that site, its all good.

As to theory pertaining to bass. Any of Ed Friedland's books. Ed has a talent for writing, he puts words together in such a way that we all understand what he is saying. His book Building Walking Bass Lines is IMO the best book on that subject. Go to Amazon and do a search on Ed Friedland. Pick which ever you think you need. For example" http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=ed friedland

For pure theory go here. http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Music Theory - Basic, Intermediate, Advanced.pdf

I just started a new book "Bass Styles Made Easy" by Chris Matheos. It lists basic bass lines for several styles of music. For example here are a few of those lines:

• Rock & Roll R-3-5-6 or R-R-3-3-5-5-6-5
    • Jazz Swing R-2-3-5
    • Funk b7-7-R-b7-7-8-5-b7
    • Country 8-5-8-5 instead of the ole classic R-5-R-5.

You might keep this one in mind as a follow up to "Building Walking Bass Lines".

The book "Bass Guitar for Dummies" is a good starter how to play bass book. I'm a pattern guy and got most all my patterns from "Dummies".

And then learn how to play using fake chord sheet music. Why fake chord? Because most bands pass among themselves fake chord sheet music, you are expected to be able to play from fake chord.

Good luck.
  3. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

I learned using StudyBass and I have no regrets about it. Very informative and helpful. However, I do wish I had started taking real lessons sooner. As good as the website is, no online lessons will ever be as good as a one-on-one teacher.
  4. xdanxx

xdanxx

the website will give you a good base to work from.
  5. ryrich22

ryrich22

Thanks to all, very helpful.