Study Time

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassGoblin, Feb 25, 2014.

1. BassGoblin

BassGoblin

I'm one of the guys who can't study. I need to. I gotta stop sucking at everything I'm doing. I'm a jack of all, master of none. I'm sick of it. Is an hour of hardcore studying per day too little? I'm finding it very hard to hear the bass in some songs. I'm finding it even harder to sit and play the songs when its 3 notes at a steady pace for 4 minutes. It literally puts me to sleep. Almost dropped my bass last night. Anyway. I need help. I am going to start using 'StudyBass' until I can afford a teacher.

What do you guys consider 'studying'? If I'm reading about scales and whatnot... is that 'studying' or is studying strictly playing stuff you've read about?
  2. mambo4

mambo4

there's planning your hike: read a map, putting on your boots , packing your granola
    and there's the hike: getting out the door, putting one foot infront of the other, making the trek.
    If you're in the wrong state of mind the hike will be a chore and all you care about is the destination: when will I get there?
    If you're of the right state of mind the hike will be engaging and fascinating: lots of cool views to look at, nature to experience, landmarks to recognize from the map, the pump of blood form the exercise.

similarly :
    there's reading a lot of theory and scales and stuff on study bass and the web
    and there's picking up your bass and actually playing it.
    If you're in the wrong state of mind, playing will be a chore and all you care about is the destination: when will I get there?
    If you're of the right state of mind ,playing will be engaging and fascinating: lots of cool sounds to make, music to experience, patterns to recognize from theory, the pump of blood form the exercise.

The people who become the best players are those who focus on enjoying the journey of learning, not the destination.
  3. ancientrocker

ancientrocker supporting member Supporting Member

Hey,

This theme of journey/destination has been popping up lately. However, another theme I see a lot is the negative/positive one. You say you (can't) and that sets you up for failure. Avoid negative words. You can if you say you can and you will if you say you will. it's the first step in the journey!
  4. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Study time. What part of the day? How should you study?

I finished my degree in 1983. Thirty two years after I started. Yes, I'm an old guy. Reason it took so long? I did not know how to study. When I realized I study best in the early morning my grades jumped from C's to A's and B's. So find the time of the day you study best. Yes you have to carve out a time slot. Same time each day.

How should you study? Depends on what you are studying. Theory for me is best done from a theory paper while I'm sitting in my pout room; it's now called the Man Cave. I do have my bass close and handy. If I'm studying how to make a riff, etc. then I move from my "study chair" to my "music chair", where I have a music stand, paper and a number 2 pencil, the one with the good eraser, i.e. I have different spots for different things. Key being I have a spot designated. When I get to that spot I'm in my study mode. Like Sheldon, I have my spot, but, in my case I have a specific spot for specific things.

That seems to be the key. There is no messing around in the study spot, that spot is for studying. How you study is kinda left up to you. I suggest you start by carving out a daily time slot and then find a specific spot. Once in the spot study one specific thing.

I first have to understand how to do something, I need to see the big picture, once I have that then I can start doing it. You have a learning style of your own. Couple of sessions with a good instructor and he/she can help with how you should go about studying.

Good luck.
  5. ZenG

ZenG

How do you eat an elephant? One spoonful at a time.

First analyze your weaknesses then find the appropriate theory that deals with that issue.

There are endless books on theory......and you could study it for a lifetime.

But you don't need to know everything that was ever written.....you only need to know the information that will get you to where you are going....INCREMENTALLY.

When you think of theory....do not think of endless exhaustive works that will boggle your mind....think of "snippets" of information that can help you progress.

If you haven't got the attention span to study for an hour every day....then don't.

Study for 10 or 15 minutes a day instead....and study information that is relevant to what you are doing......

You don't need the Golden Gate Bridge to cross a creek.