1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

stuff that happened when you grow old??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Icey101

Icey101

For me i have noticed a few things.....being middle aged

It takes alot longer to build muscle at the gym, but you can still get pretty strong with the muscle you still have, but where it would take a young guy to build muscle over 3 months it might take a year for me.

Next is stress in general, where these days things dont really impact me as much due to experiance when things impact me they impact me alot more, if that makes sense, meaning axiety hammers me more which i have to think around to over come...

So in addition to the stress thing, i put on weight easy and it seems harder to take off. Maybe i aint burning energy as efficently.

Also the value of the family is alot stronger, meaning family is everything with kids etc. Managing kids issues gives you an outlook on life where theres more to life then just work in the office

i'll add one more, dealing with death in my related family, i have had to deal direct with organising funerals etc, going through the aftermath, clearing out peoples stuff they leave behind after they pass away. It gives you another outlook that you dont experiance in your early years where there is always someone else to look after these things.

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

My back, ears and nose all have a better head of hair than, well, my head. :mad:

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Weight gain, less energy, shifting priorities, hopefully more wisdom due to more life experience and learned perspective.

4. bassteban

bassteban

Pain hurts worse longer

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

I have less tolerance for BS and usually ignore it and refuse to engage or just dismiss myself from it .

my digestive system doesn't like hot dogs.

I have zero tolerance for thieves and salesman who think they are slick

I have zero tolerance for moochers . I have a job and so can you!

I like going to bed early .I like waking up early even on weekends.

7. stratovani

stratovani

I've put on a good bit of weight.

My joints hurt more than they used to, especially first thing in the morning.

I've actually shrunk by a good 1 1/2 inches.

My feet used to be a size 10, now they're a size 11W.

I think a lot more about death and my own mortality.

Stuff that used to bother me when I was younger doesn't bother me so much anymore.

And on and on... :meh:

8. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA Gold Supporting Member

I repeat myself.
    I repeat myself.

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

The hair may just be my Winter coat but since I started working out last Feb and lost 30 lb (on my way to losing a total of, hopefully, 65+), I feel great and don't think in terms of what I can't do. I turned 55 in April and the fitness difference has really made a difference- I have always been able to hoist a good amount of weight but now, what I normally move seems like a lot less. I honestly don't know how 55 year-old people used to feel in the past but it couldn't have been good, from what I remember. People who were this age when I was a kid seemed like they were pretty well used up.

10. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Hair is starting to grow out of my ears.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    All this, and the doctor wants to stick his finger in my butt.

12. Icey101

Icey101

and how does that make you feel?...lol

13. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    I embarrassed the hell out of a young intern whom the doctor told to do it during an office visit. He asked me if I wanted to come back on a later date, and I said, "I don't know ... will it feel better then?" So I said let's get it over with and he did it and I said, "WOW! That felt GREAT!" His face went bright red. Poor guy.

14. Icey101

Icey101

i read this and looked at the your avatar face.....;)

15. iammr2

iammr2

That wasn't his finger!

16. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

If your proctologist ever says "Bend over, you are going to feel a little prick" just politely pull up your pants, say nothing, and walk out.

As I get older, my desire for a late 60's muscle car has gotten much stronger to the point of pain. I almost pulled the trigger on a Buick GS Stage 1, but I'm a bit wondering if it's just fulfilling middle age destiny.

17. Icey101

Icey101

weird, i got the 60's muscle car thing going to....

18. Truktek2

Truktek2

You should've asked for a second opinion so he would have used his middle finger as well. :) :bag:

19. carlos840

carlos840

Me to, and i am only 28!

It' going to get messy when i reach middle age crisis...

20. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    I had a Plymouth Road Runner when I was 21. I bought it new in '69. Let's see - 8 miles to the gallon (that was with the 3.55:1 rear end - it went up to about 10 mpg with the 3.23:1 I put in it). I burnt up my first set of F70/14 Goodyear Polyglass tires in 7,000 miles. I went to G70s after that and quit peeling out so much. They lasted longer. Insurance? $1,200 a year, and that was in 1969 dollars - equivalent to $30,000 or something now.

Anyway, I don't need a muscle car now. Although the Lexus I drive now would beat the Road Runner (it was a 335 hp 383 cid) on the drag strip.

21. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I get to hang out and sometimes play music with people that are a lot younger than me. :bassist:
    I don't have to be cool anymore I can just be myself. Boy, what a relief that is. I have also finally learned to avoid some self-destrucive behaviour, the rest I am still working on. I am moving further and further away from the center of the universe.
    My wife and I laugh more and fight less. :p